Expense visualization via sankey

Numbers removed. Some text blurred. The full diagram has all those details of course.

What is the goal of your workflow? What problem does it solve, or how does it help you?
To get a big picture of how we spend our money and the relative spend across different categories. We did this for our 2021 budget/expense year to get a good view of where our money went and what we wanted to change/prioritize in 2022

How did you come up with the idea for your workflow?
I saw some social media post where someone did this and thought - hey, I have all this information in Tiller.

Please describe your workflow. What are the sheets? Does it use any custom scripts or formulas?
The workflow is pretty manual right now, but something that could be automated. The tool I used to create this diagram (SankeyMATIC: Build a Sankey Diagram) requires that you do

<parent category> [value] <child category>

I used the Yearly Budget sheet to get the first set of that data pretty easily and reformatted it in a new sheet to match that spec. Then I decided that for some categories I wanted a further breakdown by “vendor”, so I used the Category Tracker for each category I wanted a breakdown of to get all the transactions. I took some time there to re-label those for consistency (e.g. Costsco Whs 123 and Costco Whs 346 I wanted to just show as “Costco”). Then I formatted all that into the right spec as well. Pasted it all into the above tool and boom!

Anything else you’d like people to know?
Not really

Is it ok for others to copy, use, and modify your workflow?
Of course, since it’s only a description

If you said yes above, please make a copy of your workflow and share the copy’s URL:
Sorry no code to share, but if there’s interest I might consider making this a more automated process.