Modifying scripts of community solutions

I would like to know if it is possible to modify the scripts of existing community solutions (in my case the Simple Business Dashboard).

I would like to create my own custom dashboard using this dashboard as a starting point but I can’t seem to figure out how to modify the script for it (if even possible). Without being able to modify the script I am limited in the customizations I can do because simply moving things around causes the dashboard to break.

I am not a Tiller or Google Sheets expert so I don’t really want to have to start from scratch to make a custom dashboard.

Yes, that’s one of the beauties of Tiller! You should be able to modify any of the sheets you install. The only things you might not be able to modify are the add-ins that you install and access via the Extensions menu.

Thank you for the reply. That is all I need, I have no interest in modifying the Tiller Extension code, only the code behind a specific sheet. I am having trouble figuring out how to do this. Would you be able to help with that?

When I open a sheet and go to Extensions > Apps Scripts, all I see is an empty function named myFunction(). I would expect that I would see the code that is running the sheet that I am currently looking at.

Thanks in advance for any help.

So most of the Tiller sheets use in sheet formulas, not scripts. If a script is used it is in the extension and not exposed to users. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t use your own app script.

That makes sense for any of the sheets that are created by Tiller. I am assuming that is so people can’t just copy them and stop paying for the service. Is that also true for all of the community solutions?

I can create my own scripts to make my own dashboard but I would really rather not have to spend all that time doing it. It would be much easier to just take an existing sheet and modify it to my liking. Not only modifying the formulas but also the scripts.

Tiller has discouraged the use of scripts in shared templates since it can pose a security risk. You are certainly welcome to create your own (I have a few that I use). All of Tiller’s special stuff is either back-end stuff that you wouldn’t be able to copy, or it’s in the add-ons (not sure if you can break that open or not). Generally I don’t sense that they would care if you copied any of their code and re-used it, they get paid to provide the transactions, the templates are just the frosting on the cake…

1 Like

Thank you guys for the help. I was actually able to figure out how to modify most of the data on these pages. I had just assumed that they were scripts because I was not familiar with the different query’s that you can do in Sheets.