Questions about Balance History sheet customizations

Hi there, I have two questions related to the balance history sheet:

1. How would I automatically add the account group (assigned in the accounts tab) to the account history? Is there an out of the box way to do this, or do I need to create a lookup formula?

2. Can I create multiple Balance History tabs that automatically update? I’d like one to just have monthly balances and another to have weekly balances.

3. If I use the Trim Balance History utility, will it continue to clean up the history? Or do I have to manually do that?

Thanks!

You’d need to use a lookup for this.

There isn’t an option for multiple Balance History sheet tabs right now.

You would need to manually run the Trim tool periodically.

1 Like

Hi @tenaciousd ,

Regarding #2:

1. Can I create multiple Balance History tabs that automatically update? I’d like one to just have monthly balances and another to have weekly balances.

As @heather says, only one Balance History sheet is available.

Another way to achieve what you are looking for would be to use the one Balance History sheet, and then use formulas to generate a weekly and/or a monthly balance sheet. Those new sheets should not be named Balance History, but they would use the data from the Balance History sheet.

One complication is that not every Account reports a balance every day. So you might not be able to search from the balance of each account on the last day of the month or week. You would need a formula that looks for the last day of the month or week’s balance per account. See how that’s done on the Accounts sheet. If it doesn’t find one, it uses the most recent balance before that date.

Creating such a sheet would take some thinking and experimenting and knowledge of using formulas, unless you want to manually add the data every week or month. That might be a lot of effort.

But I’m sure it would be possible to do it either automatically or manually.

Jon

1 Like