Savings Goal Tracker (Beta)

I agree with keeping this particular Savings Goal workflow simple. Many of the requested features (planned contributions toward goals each month, goal funding deadlines, etc…) sound like a better fit with the Savings Goals and Debt Tracking sheet.

For my needs, the Savings Goal Tracker fits well for short-term goals, or when I already have money saved and need to earmark those funds for certain purposes (protect those dollars, so to speak). If you accidentally dip into that money, it shows less than 100%. Or, you can choose which savings goal you’ll borrow from, and how much you need to save to make it whole again.

For some feature requests, there are workarounds by entering multiple line items for the same goal. This can allow us to fund goals from multiple accounts, or partially fund one goal (not to 100%) while also funding another goal within the same account. See example. Let’s say Jack and Diane want a six-month Emergency Fund of $20,000. Their joint Treasury Bonds account contributes half, and each has individual savings accounts that will contribute the other half. Jack decides he needs the latest Apple watch, so he’ll postpone his portion of the Emergency Fund. The pie charts are nice, but you’ll mainly be looking at the table section below for these needs. Lastly, I thought it was neat that you can see any leftover funds for a savings account if you enter a line item without a goal target. (Bonds Surpus in this example)

2 Likes