Share your financial goals for 2020, win a Tiller Money mug!

Interesting question! My goals are:

• Put more money toward paying off student loans.
  • Put more money toward my retirement account
  • Put more money toward charitable giving.

Since all of my goals are about increasing spending, I will naturally either have to cut spending elsewhere or increase income. Both are things I’m looking into, but I don’t consider those goals, more a means to accomplish the goals above.

1 Like

Very interesting thread…

My goals are:

• Work on aggressively paying down mortgage
  • Increase total savings to 50% (gross)
  • Decrease spending on restaurants. Cook more at home.
  • Wean myself off of YNAB. Looking forward to building my own budget spreadsheet with Tiller.

Thanks, and happy new year!

Great thread! Here’s mine:
Using Tiller, I will:

• Set sensible budgets in my regular spending categories
  • Make room for replacing my ageing, polluting vehicle with something new and green
  • Begin earnestly building a strong, diverse investment portfolio
  • Aggressively pay down the remaining high-interest debt that’s still hanging around
  • Contact three estate attorneys for consultations by the end of April (make appointments and meet with them); choose one to use and complete estate planning by September 30th.
  • Use Tiller to track expenses in 2020 and make improvements in our spending in 2021 so that we know how much we’ll really need for retirement (my estimate seems low to our financial planner, and I’m slowly learning that perhaps I’m not as frugal as I think :joy:)

I’m new to Tiller. My goals for 2020 are to gain insight into excessive spending and begin to save. By the end of the year, I want to have 10% of my income saved.

End of 2019 Goals
The last 3 months of 2019, I vowed to pack my lunch everyday and eliminate buying lunch and coffee at work. The Dashboard graphs made it all the more easy and exciting to see:

I am saving $190 a month on lunch, plus $50+ on coffee and quick snacks (at one point in the year, I was spending nearly $100 on coffees and snacks!).

Surprisingly, but actually very sensically, my groceries bill did not go up. Because I was making such an effort to brew & pack at home, I was super vigilant about what I was buying at the grocery store. I became way more efficient, and way less wasteful. I only buy what I need; I’m mindful of what’s extra, and what will be forgotten and later thrown away.

2020 Goals
Having seen the benefits of EFFORT – I’m taking that into 2020. My goals are really save-to-spend goals, so it’ll be a little bittersweet to see the money go, but the goals are:

1. Save $3500 by May to go to Rally School (long time dream since getting a license, I’m 27).
  2. Save $2200 by April to go on Buddy’s Bachelor Party (Caribbean, he couldn’t keep it simple)
  3. Maintain my company’s maximum 401k match (Roth account)
  4. Max out the $6,000 IRA contribution by end of the year (also Roth, this will be tough)

That’s about $1,400 a month in savings overhead that, technically, I earn, but would have to eliminate just about every non-essential expenditure, at least until May. My roommate used to do it – I don’t know how. He spent basically nothing and did basically nothing for 6 straight months on unemployment. It was quite the achievement to watch actually. Tough guy. I’m going for it. The important things in life are non-pecuniary anyways: family, friends, significant other (arguable), and a job. The only exception might be booze.

Cheers!

kwrks

Not sure if this is still open but our biggest goal is to buy a house in the Bay Area without going broke or exposing ourselves to too much risk. I was really excited to find Tiller because of its flexibility, customization and privacy.

Hopefully it will also help us feel more comfortable taking the leap!

Thanks!

Mine are;
-Set up an emergency fund.
-Start budgeting.

• Start Investing for retirement.
    Am new here and to the concept of financial literacy

@Edward ,

When is this going to close out as we are already 10% through the 2020 year?

Thanks,

Blake

When will the mugs be mailed out?

1 Like

Yes, curious on when the mugs will be mailed!

Hello! We received a bad batch of mugs. We’re waiting on an exchange. We may end up going with a different item altogether. I’ll post an update on Friday. We’re going to get this done before it’s the new year again. Thank you for your patience!

I’m new to Tiller, so in 2020, my Goals are:

1. Gain visibility - use AutCat and Categories to know my monthly spending

2. Know my exposure - use Reconcile feature to pre-enter checks and know the projected outflow

3. By April 1, settle into new budget (currently moving in Jan - so doesn’t make sense until after one-time charges settle.)

1 Like

My goal #1 is to set up a budget and track my money on a spread sheet. Investments, income, and all life insurance on a spread sheet. Also, directions to explain what my family should do if I had an untimely death. I am good withsaving and have no credit card debt but am a hot mess with where all that info is.
Goal #2 is to set up maintenance schedules and track repairs and expenses for 3 houses.
Goal #3 is to get all 3 properties fixed, repaired, and caught up on all regular maintenace. I do a lot of basic things myself. I learn a lot and I prefer to @#%& it up myself than pay other people to !@#$ it up.

1 Like

Those are inspiring goals. Love the idea of tracking maintenance schedules. Do you use a spreadsheet or a calendar for that?

Ed,

No, I do not have a schedule or calendar and have to often had to be reactionary. That’s not a good feeling and it invites problems.

If I do end up with a schedule or calendar, I will share it with you. Maybe that will inspire me.

Melissa