One: 30 Days of Financial Wins Kick Off

Welcome

Welcome to the 30 Days of Financial Wins Challenge!

For every email you receive you’ll also be pointed to a topic here in the Tiller Money Community.

If you’re brand new to the community make sure you sign up (upper right corner of this page) using your Tiller Money subscribed email account to reply to each challenge topic. You can also get more acquainted with the Tiller Money Community in general here otherwise just look out for the challenge emails to point you to the right topics.

The challenge topics are intended to offer motivation, inspiration, and guidance on following along and succeeding with the challenge. A big part of the success will be your active participation by replying to each topic to share your observations, goals, and learnings, which will encourage and motivate your challenge-mates to share too!

Don’t be shy. This is an inclusive and supportive community. Your voice matters. We do ask that you keep it courteous, positive, and friendly.

Advice on categories

In this first segment we ask you to customize your categories on the Categories sheet in your Foundation Template for Google Sheets if you haven’t already - or re-think your categories if you’ve been with Tiller Money for a bit and are starting fresh in a new Foundation Template.

We recommend keeping it simple. The Foundation Template includes some example categories that you can pick and choose from to help you get started. Overwrite or delete ones you don’t need and add new ones to the bottom of the list. If you’re unsure of how to group things, just stick with our example groups as a start and clear any that don’t apply.

Bills
Discretionary
Kids
Living
Primary Income
Transfer Types
Work

The simpler the structure for your categories and groups the easier they will be to remember as you’re categorizing and the more likely you’ll stick with it in the long run.

Accountability partner

In this segment we invite you to decide whether you want to work with an accountability partner through this challenge. Studies show that new habits stick faster when we check in with an accountability partner. This could be a friend, a spouse, or a colleague at work.

You can decide who and how much of a commitment you want to make along this journey. It could even be just committing that you’ll reply to each community topic in the challenge and have the community as a whole be your accountability partner!

Advice on setting financial goals

Setting financial goals can be both exciting and terrifying. The great thing is that you can change your mind later, especially after you’ve learned a bit about your spending habits and financial journey. We even ask you to re-evaluate your goals in a later segment of the challenge so don’t get stuck or think about it too hard.

Here are just a few ideas

• Save $100 a month for an emergency fund for a total of $1200 for the year
  • Open a retirement account such as an IRA
  • Most of my spending is aligned with my values this year
  • Reduce my overall debt this year by $x
  • Cut up and stop using my credit cards (if you have high credit card debt)
  • Save enough money for the down payment on a house
  • Open college savings funds for my kids

Give yourself the opportunity to dream big on these goals, and once the creative wave has passed pick one that you’d like to really focus on for the year. This can help set the foundation for the rest of your challenge. But how to choose?

You might use the SMART goal theory or the SUCCESS goal formula or just use your gut. Which of these strategies resonates most with you? Is there another strategy or goal setting method you’ve used in the past?

Your turn to share!

Click “reply” below to share your #1 goal for this year, and read and encourage others with their goals!

You can also share about what method you used to help you choose your #1 goal, how you decided on your other goals, and anything else to inspire your challenge-mates for setting goals!

Resources & Support

Resources

Here are some guides you may find useful as you work through the checklist for this segment:

Getting support

If you need help with completing any of the checklist items, including addressing account connection issues and errors, please reach out to our support team via the chat tool in the lower right corner of the Console at https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/google for the fastest response. The topics here are intended to be motivational, not for troubleshooting and the team via Chat can help you faster and more effectively than anyone here in the community.

1 Like

My three top goals are:

1. save for a rainy day $50 bucks every week
  2. Give Big
  3. Pay down my 60k debt little by little
    2020 has been good training for unexpected life experiences to say the least.
9 Likes

I’ve been doing a pretty good job of tracking my income and expenses, initially with Mint, and now happily with Tiller Money. My goal is to use that information to create a budget to help reign in our spending.

6 Likes

I want to drastically reduce my debt.

5 Likes

I want to make monthly contributions to my Roth IRA account.

4 Likes

My ultimate goal is to save enough to eventually build my own house. I would also like to save for a rainy day fund as well, because you never know when something might happen.

5 Likes
  1. All debt gone by the beginning of my road trip in May!
6 Likes

My goal is to create and stick to a budget, and also make sure I am purposely saving every month by using accounts such as my brokerage or IRA. I want to learn as much about investing as possible, and make sure I use my money wisely.

6 Likes

My goal is to track and adhere to the budget.

6 Likes

My goal is to ensure we are managing our investments effectively given that we live abroad.

5 Likes

My goal is to engage with my business finances and empower myself.

5 Likes

Welcome to the Tiller Money Community, @stepheakin @msohrel @decarson09 @ldcameron @winstoncasimirkozma @baetaeyoung @adrienne @ajzucker05 ! :wave:

These are awesome goals, everyone! Keep them coming!! :muscle:

My own #1 goal for this year is to invest in some type of property. I’m thinking buy some land and build/buy a tiny house or an RV/camper van OR just bite the bullet and buy a real house.

5 Likes

Hi Game Changers!

My #1 Financial Goal for 2021 is rebuilding an emergency fund that is 2x my monthly paycheck.

Overall 2021 Financial goals:

1. Rebuild Emergency Fund
  2. Decrease actionable debt by 5% of current debt total as of 31-DEC-2020
  3. Pay myself through small regular investments vs liquid savings
  4. Review my budget monthly in a way that improves knowledge of what the numbers actually mean and be able to TALK about it including make better financial decisions at any given moment, specifically to reach the above 3 goals

In review of SMART goals which I use at work (and don’t prefer), and seeing the difference in the SUCCESS method (which I didn’t hear about before this group), I used the OKR method which is similar to SMART goals.

Cheers to all and glad to see other people’s goals which shows me we are all after changing the game of personal finances instead of letting money rule in a negative vibe.

4 Likes

Way to go @stepheakin! 2020 has definitely provided an opportunity for a different perspective on spending, emergencies and surviving. Best wishes on reaching your goals! :sunglasses:

3 Likes
  1. Pay down student loan debt
  2. start building a savings
3 Likes

My top goal is to stick to my budget! I started using tiller last year and managed to wind up spending almost $2000 over my budget :flushed: a job change and 2 months of furlough certainly didn’t help, but this year will be even tighter! My goal is to stay within 10% of my budgeted cashflow.

I’m also trying to build my daily budget sheet (not a tiller sheet, built by me to manage my cashflow each check since I’m usually check to check) in a way that helps me see more immediately how my daily spending and credit card usage affects my annual goals :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am so excited to be a part of this challenge. I love the energy as this challenge kicks off.

Our #1 goal is to dial in our monthly cash flow as we dive into a new year that has brought big changes (expenses related to COVID homeschooling, a house move, and new dimensions to my wife’s work). Bonus: with that in place, I’m eager to build out a 10 year plan.

I’m thrilled to be doing this with Tiller Money and feeding off the energy of this awesome community.

6 Likes

Our # 1 goal is to save enough money for our 2022 wedding!

7 Likes

My goal is to stick to my budget (any advice to get the Spending Tracker to work correctly; it’s off for me…).

3 Likes

We’re creating our first budget with an eye towards plugging spending leaks.

Groceries, I’m looking at you!

We’re also looking to break our Amazon habit in 2021.

5 Likes