Adding more Types to Categories/Monthly Budget -Foundation Template

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PXfMyi-zfZr92C_V52FcqomtA76nZ0MK2bRZG_gtx7A/edit?usp=sharing

I would like to be able to use more than 3 types in the foundation template categories.

What I would like to accomplish is setting up the monthly budget to show more than Income / Expense.

I use 3 primary bank accounts.
Income Account
Monthly Bills Account (Static Expenses)
Monthly Discretionary (Variable Expenses/Spending)

In the Tiller Foundation Template, sheets:
Categories Sheet-
Type only allows for 3 terms in the data validation in the TYPE column.

Monthly Budget Sheet-
I need assistance with the array formulas… I think…
Row 16, Columns D, E, F, G
Example is I error here after changing data validation in catagories…

D16 =arrayformula(if(isblank(B16:B),iferror(1/0),if(counta($P$16:$P)=2,if(row($G16:$G)-row($G$16)>=max($P$16:$P),-1,1),if($S$16=“Income”,1,-1))*if(isna(match(row($B16:$B)-row($B$16),$P$16:$P,0)),if(isna(match(row($B16:$B)-row($B$16),$Q$16:$Q,0)),iferror(vlookup(B16:B,{$X$16:$X,$Y$16:$Y},2,false),0),sumif($V$16:$V&$W$16:$W,if(row($G16:$G)-row($G$16)>=max($P$16:$P), “Set Expense”,“Variable Expense”,“Income” )&B16:B,$Y$16:$Y)),sumif($V$16:$V,proper(B16:B),$Y$16:$Y))))

As well, I wanted to create each account a small balance tracker by inserting new columns for I (i) and J on monthly budget.
I want each to be linked to each account from Balances sheet.
I would like each to show Planned, Actual, Remaining, Target/Savings
For this I imagined
Planned
(Account Name)-> Categories!Type- sum of type for that month
Actual
Current deductions - Sum Transactions - column Category -Column amount
Remaining
Sum Planned - Actual
Savings/Target
Not a clue how I was going to accomplish this one.

1 Like

Hi @bpriddy2011,

Right now we only support income, expense, and transfer types in the out of the box categories sheet.

If you want to experiment with adding another type to the Categories sheet you certainly can, and you’d do it by updating the data validation rule for that column in the Categories sheet to create your new type. However, this new type will not be supported in any of the pre-built dashboards in the Foundation template or Tiller Labs. You could leverage it in your own custom reports or dashboards though.

Hopefully that helps.

Heather

Is this still the same. I want to add other types.

1 Like

Yep, there are only income, expense, and transfer types.

1 Like

Hey Heather. I’d like to add “Revenue” as a category type. Is this possible?

Hi @bryantrochessett No, not at this time. The only types are income, expense, and transfer. You can have Revenue as a Category under the Income type.

Thanks, Morgan.
10-4. I’d like to see Revenue on the top line of a P&L report. I can manually update that in the report though. Bryan

If you don’t want to “fight the framework”, @bryantrochessett, the easiest thing would be to manipulate the report (each time :man_facepalming:) after it renders.

If you really want a Revenue type, you could add that as a type to your Categories sheet (i.e. update the data validation in the dropdowns), but the issue, as @morgan notes, is that no stock templates (e.g. Monthly Budget) will show or render that data properly. You can definitely modify your local versions of those templates to work with the new type, but some of that work is pretty fussy and advanced.

10-4, @randy on updating the report after it renders. I will do that. From a business use perspective, Revenue would be a nice category to add at some point.

1 Like

Has this been updated @randy? In the ‘Type’ column I see an ‘Edit button’ that allows for the creation of a new type. But then the reports like ‘Monthly Budget’ and ‘Yearly Budget’ do not properly deal with the new ‘Type’.

You should see this notice when you hover over the Type heading. We aren’t able to change the functionality of Google Sheets/Excel that allow for additions to the data validation, so we added a note to help clarify.