Credit Card Balance showing as positive instead of negative

On the balances sheet, 0ne of my credit cards shows a positive balance when it should be negative. (On the Transactions sheet, all is fine and debits show as debits… I recall reading somewhere how to fix that but have searched and cannot seem to find the solution. What is required to correct this issue? Thanks. Dave

Hi @davidmark:

On the Balances Tab, most routine credit card balances should appear as positive, but this is considered in the back-end formula where their sum increases your liabilities but reduces your net worth.

Clarifying…is it that you have a debit balance to report from this credit card (your charges are less than your refunds and payments) and that debit balance is not appearing as a negative?

Balances for all account types are absolute values so neither will show as positive or negative.

Hi Heather,

My balances sheet does show negatives for some credit cards but I just realized the accounts are actually in a credit position as my wife and I must have both paid! So, all is good.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi

I see this conversation is old, but I’m new to Tiller and am encountering a similar issue to this. I am tracking two credit cards, both currently owing money to the bank, yet the balance of one is showing as positive whilst that of the other is negative. I assume that positive is the correct convention when owing money to the bank, so why am I seeing a negative? I believe Yodlee uses screen scraping to collect data, could there be an issue with how they are parsing the data from the one bank? How does one rectify this?

Mike

Welcome to the community,

You can go into your accounts sheet and under the class override column select the correct designation of asset or liability and it will change the associated accounts balances to the opposite as intended.

Thanks Ben for your prompt reply and suggestion.

Prior to any intervention, both credit card accounts appeared on the Liabilities side of the Balance sheet.

Now having changed the Class Override column on the Accounts sheet to “Asset” for the credit card showing a negative balance, this has moved it across to the Asset side on the Balance sheet, dividing my grouping of “Credit Cards” between Assets and Liabilities. I guess accounting wise this makes sense, but it doesn’t make for a nice, clean visual representation of the logical grouping any longer. I feel like we are putting lipstick on a pig by doing this after the fact; is there no way of rectifying this at source?

Mike

If you believe the data is pulling in with the incorrect polarity, I’d recommend reaching out to our support team via the chat window in the lower right corner of the Console at https://my.tillerhq.com/ We can troubleshoot data quality issues with our data provider.