Data Validated Sub-Categories

Hi @dpilitsis1,
You might want to take a look at how to use tags with categories. More info here:

This doesn’t exactly provide the 1 to 1 level of Sub-category matching, since the Tag field can have multiple comma-separated values.

I have experimented with adding my own Sub-Category sheet to Tiller. The basic workflow was adding a Subcategory column to my Transactions sheet. You might want to add a Sub-sub-category column too.

Then, I added a new sheet callled Subcategory. The first Column is Subcategory and the second Column is Category. You could add another Sub Sub one.

To create the data validation dropdown for the Transactions sheet Subcategory column, use the formula, select List from a range, with the range Subcategory!A:A. If you wanted the list sorted, create a hidden column in the Subcategory sheet to sort the subcategories and use that column in the range.

I looked a little bit into getting it to work so when a Category was selected, that would auto-populate the list for the matching Sub-categories. While I figured out how to do that with one cell, I couldn’t find a way to do it for every row using just formulas. With a script, I’m sure it would be possible.

That should get you started. Let us know if that helps/works.