Early Retirement Spreadsheet?

Many of us dream about this, right? :slight_smile:

So does anyone have a good early retirement spreadsheet already set up? I’d love to find a template I can modify instead of building from scratch. Something that will let you input different ages and such to see what income could be.

Or if you have a better option (online calculator), that works too!

Thanks,
Phillip

I like and use this product. They just added balance linking via Plaid last week and plan transaction linking in early 2021. They have an always free version and a 14 day free trial on one of their paid subscriptions. At least try the 14 day free trial. You have nothing to lose. If you like it, then you pay $72 per year. If not, all you have lost is your time but you will have certainly learned a lot in the process. No broad and sophisticated retirement (plus more) modeling can be easily created from scratch. Please let me know what you think. Blake

1 Like

I am also interested in a great FIRE spreadsheet. I’ve seen this spreadsheet (opens in preview mode) mentioned and shared around the internet. It would be pretty easy to modify. Here’s an older Google template with a cool gauge designed to run on imported Mint data; it could be modified to work with Tiller Money Feeds.

1 Like

I don’t have a spreadsheet to share, but I have created something similar by coding it in PHP. The good news is that you don’t really need too much to calculate this for yourself.

Google Sheets uses the same functions as Excel for financial variables. You can use the FV function (future value) to calculate how much money you will have at a certain retirement year by inputting a rate (e.g. what you think the annual inflation-adjusted growth of your investments is), the number of periods (i.e. how many years till your retirement), the amount of contributions you are going to make per year (if you want that as part of the equation, you could also leave this at zero to assume you make no more contributions), and finally the present value of your net wealth.

Then you just use the PMT function to see how much you can pay yourself per year with the result of the FV function. To do that, you again put in the assumed annual inflation-adjusted rate of growth, the number of years you need to pay yourself out (a little morbid, but this is how long you think you might live after retiring), and the value of your net wealth at retirement (the result of the FV above).

I actually have my app give me four numbers: what I could take now, what I could take at 55 assuming I make no more contributions, what I could take at 55 if I can make minimal contributions (25% of my current ones), and finally what I can take at 55 if I continue on my current path of contributions.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Wow, I had no idea this existed @Dataphile. Here’s a bit more on it for those that are interested:

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093224?hl=en

1 Like

@pcmccollum

Looks awesome. Just spent some time fiddling with it. Easy to use, yet pretty comprehensive. Some room for improvement, but covers a lot of the bases.

look around on that vertex42 website as they have lots more.