Excel Users Discussion Group

Can we have a designated discussion group for Excel users? I would love a single place to query other users about their experience and get ideas and feedback.

For example, I know I can’t be the only user working on AutoCat for Excel.

2 Likes

Greetings fellow Excel fanatics!

I am working on an AutoCat for Excel that will also rename the bank/merchant descriptions. I don’t know about you, but I have recurring transactions that every time I see them I have to go back to previous months to see what I called it to figure out what it was. That’s one place where Mint really shines.

Technically, I have already done this, but it is slow and clunky. I created a sample workbook that you can download and try to come up with a solution for this dilemma. I can’t believe I’m the only one trying to resolve this and think this new community is the perfect place to come up with different solutions since everyone has a different style.

I think it is going to become too much for VLookups as it grows.

I would love to see what someone else has accomplished. I copied and pasted two macros as text into a tab.

Sample-Testing Workbook

6 Likes

Created a new sub-category of the Discussion category for this. Great idea! Exciting stuff you’ve built in that sample test workbook!

1 Like

This is fantastic! I can’t wait to see how it turns out. Here is a resource if you ever need sample financial data @KLineberry: https://www.tillerhq.com/budget-sheet-sample-data-google-sheets-excel

How is this coming along?

I was going to take a look, but it looks like the file is no longer available.

@KLineberry Did you make progress on this? I would be interested if you are willing to share.

Nope, I gave in and switched over to Google Sheets. As much as I am concerned about the security of my data, I just couldn’t get over all the hurdles to make it a usable tool for me in Excel.

Heather, I couldn’t find any Excel related sub-categories in the community. Could you check that what you did here actually stuck? I do see an excel tag under Get Help, so I’ll use that for now.

@matta, this was probably applicable in the original community organization but no longer applies. Excel content can just go under Get Help > spreadsheet templates (or some other appropriate get help category), show & tell, or otherwise according to how we think about categories now and be tagged “excel”

Heather

1 Like

Great, thanks Heather!