Handling replacement credit cards that have new account number

Due to an unauthorized charge, Chase issued me a new credit card that has a different account number. Therefore, Tiller is treating it like a new account. It was easy enough to link this account to my Tiller spreadsheet, but this did create a few anomalies…

1. Tiller initially downloaded transactions for both account numbers so I had to manually delete the duplicates.
  2. Tiller continues to pull balances of both credit cards. The replacement credit card balance is updating correctly, but the balance of the canceled card continues to pull an outdated balance every day.

I have now unchecked the old credit card account in the Tiller Money feeds sidebar and manually added a balance = $0 to the Balance History sheet for the canceled credit card.

Is there a less manual way to handle this?

Thanks,
Scott

1 Like

Hi @Cowboy13,

Nope, right now the only way to really handle that scenario is to do it manually.

Heather

1 Like

What about updating the old transactions with the new account number? That way the transactions would be as if it were one account, so it would be easier to report off. I’d still uncheck the old account, so nothing is coming in, but then combine the two, using search/replace.

Yeah, I know how to do that and still may. I was more curious if there was a less manual way to handle this, but according to Heather, there is not.

Yeah I’ve had to do this a couple of times this year and it’s a pain. @heather I’m sure it would be a much appreciated feature if you ever add a way to automate it!

2 Likes

+1 to welcoming some automated support. All cards in my wife’s wallet were stolen, so I will need to do this for several cards.

@yotommy - we do have an automated solution for this now, but it’s in a separate add-on that likely will eventually go away because it was a special use add-on for some migration workflows that most of our long time customers have completed.

You’d want to use the Merge & Repair feature documented here: Automate your Legacy to YSL migration data clean up | Tiller Help Center

Just ignore the stuff about “Legacy > YSL” it’s basically a workflow that will allow you to merge the old account into the new account so they appear as a single account in your spreadsheet. It’s all local to the spreadsheet and not at all updating anything in our database.

Thanks, will give this a try!

This has happened to me several times and I decided to write down the workflow I used to fix it manually

Maybe this is helpful to someone who is doing this for the first time, or maybe someone will spot a flaw in my approach…

Account Repair Formula

• What is the problem?

• Chase (for example) “opens a new account” every time you get a new card
    • Some accounts are smarter than this, but it depends on how they report the data after a change, such as a new card being issued
    • In this situation
      • The “old” account and its transaction data all sit there on Tiller’s database, and never receive updates ever again
      • The “new” accounts transactions are pulled for the last 30 days as though its a new parallel account
      • Together they represent the history of a single account, but for a time period of about a month there are duplicate transactions
      • When you fill to google sheets, the “new” account’s transactions are pulled and you have duplicates and you have two different account IDs
  • How is this repaired?

• We are going to update the old account transaction data so that the transaction IDs and account IDs match the new account
    • The old account will cease to exist in the Tiller google sheet, preventing duplications on the next fill, and making all reports etc seamless again
    • The wrinkle is that we can’t just delete the old transactions as they have probably been categorized and tagged already, and may even have been split, and we don’t want to lose that
    • So in our Tiller google sheet we have to:
        1. Merge the transactions, and
        1. Delete the old account

The formula:

• Set up TillerHQ

• In TillerHQ, edit the name of the “old” account, just add “OLD” on the end
    • Then edit the name of the new account if necessary, so that it matches what your old account used to be before you just edited it - and what it is still labeled as in your google sheet
    • Uncheck the old account in “Connected Accounts” in the google sheet
    • Fill data to your google sheet
    • In your google sheet, check the Transactions and Balance History tabs
      • If they were already filled with the old name, you can manually edit the names in the affected rows so that they are consistent with what you had previously called this account
  • Merge the transactions

• In the Transactions tab, order all transactions in reverse date order
    • Filter accounts to show only the broken account’s transactions (“old” and “new”)
    • Scroll down and note the duplicate transactions, and where they start in the timeline
    • Copy one instance of the new account ID, and the old account ID, and store them in a notepad
    • One by one, copy the transaction IDs from each new transaction, to the corresponding old categorized/tagged one – once copied, delete the new transaction
  • Delete the old account

• In the Transactions tab, ensure you are still filtered to only the broken account (“old” and “new”)
    • Select all rows in the Account ID column, through all time, and paste the new account ID over all of them
    • In the Balance History tab, filter down to the new and old accounts and paste the new Account ID over everything from all time in the Account ID column
    • In the Accounts tab, click the drop-down for the old account, which should now be marked red, and select the new Account