Have advice on tracking paycheck deductions & investments?

Just installed the trial version of Tiller and am loving it so far. I do have two questions:

1. I’ve always liked tracking my paycheck deductions over the years (federal taxes, health insurance, etc). Is there a recommended way to “override” or “adjust” my paycheck data after it comes in to account for the gross income and deductions, splitting those out into their own categories?

2. Is there a recommended way to account for Investments? (such as transfers to a Roth IRA, etc). I see that Tiller reports the outflow from the bank account, the inflow into the Roth IRA, and then finally the “outflow” from the IRA cash into the investment. However, if I mark all those transactions as “Transfers,” thus hiding each transaction, my budget shows that there is cash still available in the given month. In order to show the investment as being “spent,” should I record the initial outflow from the bank account as “Investment Expense” (etc), and then “hide” the inflow into the Roth IRA and the investment into the security? When Tiller pulls in the account balances every day, will it still accurately report the increase in the Roth IRA even though I have “hid” the transactions in it?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Hi @createplayact Welcome to Tiller!

Great questions. Here are some ideas.

Here is a good approach to handling full data for paychecks:

…and here is one idea to consider for your transfers:

1 Like

Helpful thoughts here! I’ll think through the best method for me. Thanks!

Here’s what I do. A bit manually intensive but because my paycheque is the same every 2 weeks, works well. My wife’s is different each time so a bit more onerous.

https://community.tillerhq.com/t/autocat-splitter-for-mortgage-payments-paycheques-paychecks/6687?u=davidmark

1 Like