How to Handle Investment Accounts with Tiller

Hello!

I have a few investment accounts (IRA, 401K’s, etc.) connected to our money feed. I want to keep these connected so they are reflected on our balances page, showing our assets and net-worth. However, every debit/credit on these investment accounts shows on our transaction page. Ideally, I’d prefer not to see these on our feed, but I don’t think that’s possible. If not, how should they be categorized and what type should it be labeled (expense, income, transfer)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I create a new category called investment and set it to the type of transfer and I then hide the category

2 Likes

This is essentially what I’ve started doing too. It seems to be the best option.

1 Like

Maybe offtopic but are there any Tiller sheet/templates designed for investment accounts? So not budgeting but just seeing trends, growth, ROI, etc…

I do this the same way, i have a category called Investment Transactions or retirement transactions and have an autocat rule set for them and have them all hidden. This works well for me.

The way I handle these is to disconnect them and just do a (manual) balance update at the end of each month. That way, the investment accounts are included in my overall balances sheet, but the transactions don’t appear.