Is there a way to use transaction dates instead of posting dates on Tiller?

I searched the Tiller Community and this seems to be an already requested feature. My understanding is that both Tiller and Empower uses Yodlee. However, Empower uses the transaction date for each transaction while Tiller used the post date. I would like Tiller to also use the Transaction date. Is there a way to do this on Tiller without manually changing the dates for every transaction yet? Are you working on this feature?

3 Likes

I added a column for the transaction date on my Transactions sheet and have been manually entering dates. Would LOVE if that data could be captured automatically.

3 Likes

Great question. This would be a great update to have.

Yeah, this is a good idea. Transaction date would be preferable to post date even if it gets added to our sheets days later. It would save the exercise I do at the begging of every month to backdate things to the previous month when the expense was actually incurred.

2 Likes

I looked at Yodlee’s API documentation for the date field:

“The value provided will be either postDate or transactionDate. postDate takes higher priority than transactionDate, except for the investment container as only transactionDate is available. The availability of postDate or transactionDate depends on the provider site. Applicable containers: bank, creditCard, investment, insurance, loan.”

For something like a written check, a bank can only know the date the check was presented to be cashed. Yodlee and Empower will never know when the check was actually used as payment in a transaction.

I would like to have a separate transaction date column that would reflect my idea of the transaction date. Like Autocat for the category column, I want an Autodate to automatically generate a date (usually by copying the feed’s date column) to be edited as need be. My guess is that most transaction dates would be correct, and most of the remainder “close enough”. What I really need is a way to tell my reports to use this new column rather than the Date column in the feed.

1 Like

This isn’t a feature we’re working on @kkapdolee and as @rdsteed noted we use “Date” and this is what it means:

“The value provided will be either postDate or transactionDate. postDate takes higher priority than transactionDate, except for the investment container as only transactionDate is available. The availability of postDate or transactionDate depends on the provider site. Applicable containers: bank, creditCard, investment, insurance, loan.”"

Thanks. May I ask why you aren’t working on this? Do you think postDate is better than transactionDate? Can we take a community vote on this?

Tiller is never going to be able to determine when a transaction occurred from your perspective. (See my earlier comment)

Many Tiller reports make use of the Date column. It would be possible to support a transaction date column as well.

Revising all of the reports (currently hard wired to for a column named “Date”) to also support a “TransactionDate” column as an option would require a significant effort, and it would still require manual editing of the Transaction Date.