Mint Is Shutting Down: FAQ, Timeline, and Alternatives

Originally published at: Mint Is Shutting Down: FAQ, Timeline, And Alternatives - Tiller

Intuit just announced it’s shutting down Mint, the popular personal finance app that introduced millions of people to tracking their money on mobile.

Mint users are now urged to switch to Intuit’s Credit Karma service, which is a substantially different offering.

A Sincere Hat Tip To Mint

Mint launched at the dawn of the smartphone era. For millions it was the first tool they used to aggregate and track their finances.

Like “Xerox” or “Kleenex,” the name “Mint” practically became synonymous with the entire category of money management apps.

Here at Tiller, we find it surprising and strangely sad to hear Mint is going away. And we’re sorry for the millions of users now scrambling for a replacement. (Credit Karma won’t support all the features of Mint, like budgeting – more below.)

While Mint and Tiller may seem like rivals, in fact Mint was a gateway that led many to take their financial lives more seriously. And as people outgrew Mint, they discovered Tiller. We see it daily in our feedback and reviews.

Click through to our blog to read an FAQ and a few alternatives along with Tiller: Mint Is Shutting Down: FAQ, Timeline, And Alternatives - Tiller

1 Like

Great to hear about the trial offer btw! As some of us try to talk friends into joining, would that 30d offer be attached to the referral one? Just curious.

Also, btw, love the thorough post but none of the images have loaded for me after several reloads on the latest Google Chrome (even tried incognito). They do “work” once you click on them, but only then.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you for letting us know about the images. That appears to have resolved.

Anyone you refer to Tiller with your referral code will get the free 30 day trial. They won’t be charged until the end of their trial, and they keep all templates and data imported from Tiller.

Anyone you refer to Tiller with your referral link will automatically receive $10 off their annual subscription for the first year, and you’ll get a $15 cash commission.

Thanks again for letting us know about the images!

What an opportunity for Tiller.

If only we were ready with a mobile app that 1) helped categorize in the fly as well as the new “cultivator” does, 2) showed a savings budget balance by category, and even 3) updated accounts.

Look at the case study of YouTube’s rise. It was event driven (Justin T and Janet Jackson’s Super Bowl halftime shenanigans.). YouTube’s tech was ready, the general demand to share videos was ripe, and they met at the intersection called luck.

1 Like

Thanks @truk - we share your enthusiasm for Tiller and for this opportunity with Mint. Your vote for mobile is noted… and shared too!

2 Likes

I recommended Tiller to a friend looking for a Mint escape hatch, and he asked a good question: Given that setting up an account like this is something of a commitment, how likely is that Tiller is still around in a few years?

I realize you’re a private company and don’t release financials (and that of course the future is unpredictable), but any comments on this? (In particular, are you a money-losing VC-funded company, or more stable than that?)

1 Like

Tiller has not raised venture funding. We’re proud to only be accountable to our subscribers. We are financially healthy and quite careful with how we invest in growth. (And yes, we use Tiller to manage our company finances. Naturally!)

5 Likes

Hi! I’m new here as part of the Mint exodus, Mint was never perfect but worked and inertia was strong. Never looked around for an alternative until they announced the shut down but really glad I found Tiller. If I’m reading things correctly you guys just got Fidelity support and since I’ve got a lot of accounts with them I’m glad I’m here now rather than a few months ago. Hope you’re getting a little flood of new members like me!

2 Likes

I’ve thought about this a lot as I am a financial coach and using Tiller almost exclusively as my budgeting tech tool with clients. What I do like about Tiller over any other solution (among many other reasons) is that the data lives in a Google Sheet, so even if Tiller went down (and I hope it does not!), everybody would still have their data in a spreadsheet, as opposed to locked inside an app. (Of course assuming Google Sheets and Excel don’t go down too…but nothing is forever.)

I’m all for Tiller, I love it and have happily been using it for years with no intentions to leave, but your comparison missed one more service that was on par with Mint.
Used to be called Personal Capital, now its called Empower. It has a quality app, a great online dashboard and its free.

I’m another Mint refugee. I mainly used it to track and categorize transactions, then at the end of each month I would transfer the data into a google sheet that I used for budgeting. I love that Tiller appears to be a good substitute for me. I could just copy and paste my extincting categories into the template! Only issue so far is that I can’t link some of my CC accounts.

Of all of the other mint replacement options I have tried, Tiller might be worth my time to look into some more :+1:

This is exactly my use case, using Mint as a transaction aggregator and then exporting the data to do my own thing. I’m on day one of my trial and I’m liking the flexibility to not have to follow one specific budgeting methodology, like zero based budgeting. So much work ahead of me to get all my historical transactions squared away but I think this is going to be the right answer

1 Like

Congratulations to the Tiller team.

I’m a longtime user of personal finance tools and was an early user of many different ones (Dollars & Sense, MS-Money, Quicken, and Mint). I moved a number of years ago to a combination of Mint with some of my own MS-Excel worksheets for more involved analysis and reporting.

I’ve spent the last couple of weeks fully setting up and using various tools (e.g. Tiller, Empower, Monarch, Quicken, etc). The clear winner for me is Tiller with MS-Excel. Congratulations, again, to the Tiller team on the excellent work. The clear advantages for me with Tiller are:

• Reliable data feed with complete data from Fidelity. I use a Fidelity Cash Management account, rather than a traditional checking account. Other tools such as Monarch only supported balance information, not full transaction detail.
  • Actual budgeting capabilities with the added advantage of complete flexibility in defining categories and groups. Empower references budget features but these are rigid and only at an overall monthly spending level with no ability to even use basic categories or groups.
  • Flexibility to directly integrate the Tiller MS-Excel foundation worksheet data into my own worksheets. I need to assess what is available from the Tiller community as my guess is that there is likely work that has been done that I can directly leverage, rather than revamping my own to work with Tiller.

It is surprising that Intuit is shutting Mint down. Fortunately, the result for me is finding a much better tool for my needs. Thank you Tiller!

BTW – the images in your original post are not loading on macOS using Safari.

1 Like