Mobile App for Savings Budget Template

That’s definitely a limitation and you just have to remember to switch back, unfortunately.

1 Like

I have it mostly working and looking proper but in the budget tab the first numerical column shows ‘actual amount’ available. This does not make sense with our budget. We just need to know how much was spent out of a category and how much is left. It is a confusing figure. Is there a way to just make that not shown?

You can delete or reorder the columns for the Budget tab like this:
CleanShot 2021-12-06 at 18.02.33

1 Like

This mobile app and your work are super helpful. Thank you! Everything seems to be working great on all the views except Budget. I’m new and still figuring things out, but I can’t make sense of the budget columns. It seems the data in ACTUAL, AVAILABLE, BUDGET, and Currently Available is not matching my Savings Budget. I probably did something wrong in setting it up, but I can’t figure out what. Can you help?

Do you see any data in those columns?

Yes! There is data and it’s kind of right, except the column titles don’t match what’s in my Savings Budget. I can move the columns like you showed above, but there is something strange happening. BUDGET looks like my Savings, ACTUAL looks like Budget, AVAILABLE has no data, Currently Available is doing a calculation that doesn’t match anything that I can figure.

1 Like

Awesome stuff! Got it working for my local setup.

Also, just a heads up, the Savings Budget Solution adds an additional empty Column C, which causes the Available to shift over to H.

This causes the budget functionality to not work properly, and because of this, you won’t see the available money.

The fix that I found:

1. Go to your copy of the AppSheet Lookup Spreadsheet
  2. Change cell C6 to B10:H
  3. Go to Appsheet
  4. Go to the Data tab on the left side
  5. Click Columns on the top
  6. Under Budget, click Regenerate Structure
  7. Profit
2 Likes

Brandon, you did it! It’s working perfectly now. Thank you.

2 Likes

That’s a really good idea @erikocc - let us know if you ever get something working for that :smile: I noticed the same thing.

Really excited to be trying this tool out, by the way! Thanks for all the hard work @richardpeng!

You can clone the budget sheet for this month and point AppSheet at that.

2 Likes

In the Budget view, it would be really helpful to have column headers - I always forget which one is Budget, Actual, Available, etc. I know I can click on a given row and it will show me which is which, but I would like to have it at a glance from the Budget view. I’ve been playing around in AppSheet with the columns, and there’s a checkbox for “LABEL?”. I’ve tried checking that for each column and then saving it, but the check mark just goes away and the column label never shows up in the app preview. @richardpeng - do you know if this can be done?

2 Likes

Hey,

I would like to know exactly how did you produce your icons on your sheet? I saw that you used Cleanshot X on MacOS to create gifs. I am using windows but I am able to download gifs in various ways. The issue I am having is that I can only insert them into the cells or outside. If I insert them within the cell (which is my goal) the text within the cell disappears and is replaced by the gif. I cant add any text and the cell containing the gifs are showing up as blank on the mobile app. I was able to copy and paste your icons from your Tiller Foundation Template FOR SHARING without any issues. I do need more icons than what you included so that is why I am attempting to create my own or download various icons. The gifs arent necessary, although I would like to find a way to incorporate them, but I cant even get regular images pasted like I seem to be able to do with your icons on your categories.

Your icons

My icons

My Icons when I double click and attempt to input any text

How it shows up on the AppSheets

Oh, I figured it out. I didn’t know you could have emojis on sheets

Whenever I add a new transaction from the app nothing gets updated on my transactions tab within my google sheets. What am I doing wrong?

Hi @MidnightPrzm:

New transactions added through the app will show up in the first blank line at the bottom of the sheet, even if it was previously sorted Z to A by date. If, after adding a transaction with a recent date, you sort the sheet in the app by clicking on Date column header twice, does it appear?

In my trial, I added a transaction with today’s date, but I couldn’t see it because it was at the very end of the sheet. (Likewise, back in the Google Sheet, I had to resort to see the newly added transaction.)

Tiller spoils us by adding an automatic Z to A Date resort after adding new transactions. This is not automatic when adding them in AppSheet.

Does that help?

Yes that helps. I was unaware the transactions were showing up on the bottom. They originally showed up on the app no issues but I didnt think to check at the bottom of my sheets. Thank you. On another note is there a way to fill my sheets using mobile? As you cant install extensions on mobile sheets. I know there are certain browser app such as kiwi browser that allow you to install chrome like extensions that are not possible on chrome mobile. Anything like that exists or any advice on that? Thank you.

Hi @MidnightPrzm

For mobile, this might help:

How to make these instructions better…

1. give high level context of what appsheet is, and that we’ll be using it

next:
2) @ “Installation”

See 4th bullet “accounts” … clarify if user needs to install a “simple business dashboard” or not? original Foundation budget now has a hidden “accounts” sheet tab. (later, i see an “accounts” sheet in the “Tiller Appsheet FOR SHARING” that we copied. confusing

next:
3) @ Tiller AppSheet Lookup Sheet

After user clicks “allow access,” is it normal that the cell still shows an error (or is my individual process broken?) either way: make it clear what “should” happen in that cell after user clicks “allow access” (edit: drdebvet mentions this error in the comments above. SOLVED: When I copied and pasted the URL from the URL bar in browser, this connection didn’t work. When I replace-pasted the “anyone can edit share link” URL, the error cell changed to a date, which I think indicates that this works. )

next:
4) @ Installation #### Updating the app data source

I see " Google sheets" with my google login next to it. Is that correct? it’s different than the pic you have up.

next:
5) @ quote

Is the Tiller Savings Budget as a Data Source my from inside my foundations workbook?
Can be clarified in instructions.

@

SOLVED NOW: but previously, I got: "
Unable to fetch app definition.

Error: Data table ‘Accounts’ is not accessible due to an internal error. Please contact Contact Us - AppSheet Help
"

“the … app did not load successfully. Please contact the app creator.
Unable to fetch app definition. Error: Data table ‘Accounts’ is not accessible due to internal error. Please contact …(appsheet support)”

So, I had two points of confusion above about “accounts” sheet, so I’ll try some other interpretations of the instructions to see if I can troubleshoot this myself. Any help along the way would be greatly appreciated. @HeatherP @heather Mobile is essential. No mobile → no customer.

SOLVED: once i fixed the URL above. The app is now working. (I, again, suggest removing (or clarifying) the language around “accounts” sheets: a) state that it’s hidden. b) remove the “from business dashboard” since that’s not needed.)

Next up, how to set this up for my spouse :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: