New Envelope Budget v. 2.0 Released for review

Not so far. But I haven’t added any Tiller additions. (not really planning to) I just changed what I was doing to use “Account 1” instead of “Account”.

Hello! I’ve been looking at your new 22.x spreadsheet and it is a work of art! Really! The only problem I’ve had with it is it doesn’t consider pending transactions - so I don’t have a clear real-time picture of what my budget situation is. Do you have any plans for a future update that will take in to account pending transactions added by the Tiller Community “Add Transaction” and the “Reconcile Transaction” functions?
thanks
Jim

Glad you like it. I do to.

Hmmm, So I have to say if the transaction is in the transaction sheet, the envelope sheet will take it into account ( Pending or not). What odd is I cant actually get the add transaction from the Community add-on to work. It shows as a blank Account box.

I even changed back the account 1 column name to Account and it still doesnt work. Because all of the code is in the add-on, I am unable to see what the issue is. ( fyi the split transaction one works). Not sure what is going on.

I will keep looking into it.

@randy

I am trying to figure out why the add transaction action from the community solutions isnt working with my envelope sheet. I am thinking it has to do with the fact that I cannot select an account. What field are you guys looking for with this? Are there any other requirements you need to have to make this work? I am able to split a transaction, just not add one.

I thought it was just me! I had the same problem with v 22.x. I had already built a sheet that would add a transaction mimicking the tiller add transaction addon, marking it as pending, which works great. I can use the Tiller reconcile function with these and they reconcile perfectly. So I ignored the issue. It probably is an issue with the tiller code.

The problem is the Envelope sheet only sees the actual reported account balance from the Tiller Accounts sheet. It would be great if I could see Actual bal including pending, total of pending trans, and the settled balance (from tiller).

It’s because you changed the name of Column H on the Accounts sheet to Account1. The Add Transaction Column looks for that header.

My fix was to instead name Column A on that Sheet as Account1 and adjust your formulas to keep your sheet working.

I’ve been meaning to try and figure out a way to rework your formula in Column Y of Sheet References so that having two columns called Account on the same sheet doesn’t break it, but I haven’t done that yet. I believe the issue is that you use the Match function which always returns the first matching name, not the last.

I changed The column on mine as well and it still didn’t work. I will have to retry

Hey @richl! I’m sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Have been in Spain for a little break. Will check this out when I’m back on Thursday.

Humble brag😂. Now I’m jealous.

No rush

Hey @richl! I finally had some time to look into this. It required picking through the code (which was written long ago)…

The answer is that the code starts by looking for a range of columns to pull data between “Unique Account Identifier” (typically column F) and “Hide” (typically column Q).

So your “Hide 1” column is probably what was tripping up the add-on. You’ll need to change “Account 1”, “Hide 1”, but you should probably change “Group 1” as well for compatibility with other templates.

Sorry it isn’t a little smarter. I hope this helps.
Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

Thanks Randy, that did it. It looks like your templates use more of the hidden fields so I actually changed the Account, Group, and Hide bade to the original and changed the first columns to these names

ONce I did the Add transactions function worked like a dream.

Now I will test to see what else I just broke.

Thank you for taking a look at it.

R

Of course. Thanks for your patience and for building out and maintaining such a powerful budget, @richl.

Hi @richl,
Since I a want to use the Tiller manual add transaction function, when you figure out what broke, can you let me know what I need to change in your 22.2 version?
Thanks
Jim @jemmoa7

EDIT: Just after I posted this, I made your suggested modifications to Accounts and I did a quick check. I don’t see any thing broken, but you know how it works better than I! J

So JIm, after I made the changes I listed above, the add Transaction works and everything else appears to work as well.

My only concern is the Accounts Sheet is still slightly different that the Tiller default. I will continue to look for an alternate solution that allows the Account sheet to be stock, but still allows for the flexibility of the dynamic sheet references. Thanks for bringing this issue up. It was a good catch.

How is the Envelope sheet working for you?

Hi Rich,
The Envelope sheet is working great! I’ve been having a lot of fun adding “features” to it. I have been working with Aspire Budget a lot, so I’ve brought it’s dashboard and some of my favourite reports over to Envelope. Aspire budget is great, but your programming is sleek and efficient - a pleasure to work with - easy to make additions (although I don’t generally change your logic, just add additional sheets). I also have made an “Income vs Expense” report that I used to love in YNAB, so I recreated it in Envelope.
Jim

2 Likes

Awesome, glad you like it. Please share your changes. I would love to see them. I also have a few other sheets that I have built but they are not integrated into the envelope system, but still useful.

Would love to see your sheet with Aspire Budget.

2 Likes

Hi, I brought over Aspire’s Dashboard, Balances, Category Report and Spending Report over to Rich’s Ultimate Envelope. Under the hood they are pretty use Ultimate Envelope’s logic. I also made a lot of modifications to my liking, so they are more in the “style” of Aspire rather than an integration of Aspire with Ultimate Budget. BUT - did take a stock Aspire 3.3 system and integrated Tiller Sync into it. I had to use Apps Script to make it as seamless as possible, I also added a YNAB “style” goals calculation system to it (tailored to my needs). I really liked Rich’s way of moving amounts between Envelopes, so I incorporated a modified version of that, but only used the “engine” Rich wrote to do that. Additionally, I added a sheet that would let me add transactions easily without accessing the Transactions sheet. Oh - I also enhanced the “pending” transactions function of Aspire to work with Tiller’s “add a transaction” and reconcile transaction functions. Whew, I guess I have a lot of time on my hands. Actually I do during the winter as I’m retired and need to keep my facilities sharp. I’m also thinking of making an envelope system for Tiller’s Excel Foundation (similiar to Envelopes and Aspire). But that is difficult because I only know basic Excel - but a lot of fun. I guess 30+ years in I/T makes this truly fun for me! I’m thinking of creating a “sanitized” version of the my Aspire spreadsheet and letting people see it. But that’s a ways away. I’d have to clean up any sloppy coding I did first! At any rate, I will look to creating an Aspire Dashboard that can be added to Rich’s Envelopes without any other modifications.

2 Likes

Hi @richl
Just downloaded your 2.2 sheet !
I’ll be starting up with new bank accounts so will start fresh on this sheet, one dumb question though!
I’m completely lost on how to link this sheet with tiller…
Everyone else seems to know this, but I can’t see it - thanks for your help!
-stpehanie

1 Like