New Envelope Budget v. 2.0 Released for review

I assume you already have the Tiller Add-on. if so with the Ultimate Envelope Sheet open.

Go To Extensions → Tiller Money Feed

and open the add-on. IT should ask you to login and connect the sheet.

That is it is now connected.

2 Likes

That is easy! Thank you @richl

Hello - I’m struggling quite a bit just getting this setup; I’m sure i’m missing something obvious. First I tried creating a new Tiller foundation Sheet, and then just copying in the “Envelope” worksheet over from the v2.2 template, as shown in the doc. Then I realized Google deprecated the “Tools–> Script Editor” function; it seems to have been replaced with “Extensions → Apps Script”, but nothing shows up there.

Then i realized maybe you meant copying the v2.2 template over entirely, so I tried that method. That DID bring over scripts that show up in “Apps Script” editor, but there are 4 in there (one says v2.3 WIP in the title) and the UI for running them (onOpen, for example) is different, so I wasn’t sure which one to run and if it would work correctly.

Any help? (Also - when I figure this out - happy to help update screenshots / etc on the Word Doc if you’d like)

Google changed the terminology and menu structure recently and it has made a mess of everyone’s documentation and videos.

Alright - looks like you just need to run “Extensions → Apps Script”; under “Files” choose “Code.gs”, select “OnOpen” and then “Run”.

Also when it says “This app isn’t verified” you need to click on “Advanced”.

Alrighty now its time for a deep dive on getting this setup!

Please reach out if you have any questions. I don’t always check this forum regularly so please feel free to email me directly

Hello, any chance you are still offering this for free for Tiller users? The discount link has expired.

Correct I had given out the sheet for free for the first 50 folks and then the free link expired. It is only $10 now.

I use it and it’s worth the $10. It’s the best Envelope budget on Tiller. Actually, I got it free and saw the tremendous amount of time spend on this, and decided to pay $10! I would love to see this ported to Excel, but that would be an enormous task!

Hi @richl! Thanks for greasing the skids for those of us coming over from Mvelopes! I’m working on manipulating my Mvelopes data export to pull everything in to your Envelope Budget sheet and having good success! Except - I was wondering how you handle envelope to envelope transfers? Maybe I just missed it in the docs or in the forums, so just wanted to check to see if you had a solution for that? Thanks!

3 Likes

Hey Drew, first off welcome to Tiller

Yes, there is an easy way to do this.

I have added the instructions to my UE support site.

Look under FAQ - Envelopes

1 Like

Hi richl - As you know from our previous chats, I am transitioning from MVELOPES and using Tiller & your tool U.E. So far I love it, thanks so much.

I have a couple of questions:
ONE…
I have a few categories that I put in a group called “Reimbursable”. I use these when I buy something for someone who plans to pay me back; or if someone buys something on my behalf and I need to pay them back - just to keep track of who I owe or who owes me.

Since it is not an income, expense, or savings, I listed it as the only remaining type available, i.e. “Transfer” - which sort of makes sense, maybe, lol. I did not hide it from reports nor did I hide it from funding - although there is nothing to plan/budget, so the funding plan is set to zero.

I do want to see the balance of the envelope though, in the budget, so that I can see if it is anything other than zero - indicating that there is a debt to owe or receive.

As of right now, these items are not showing up in the budget.

Suggestions on how or where to see this information - or a better way to categorize it in the 1st place - I am totally open to suggestions here

TWO:
I see an upcoming WEBINAR from Tiller about transitioning and prepping Tiller for the change-over to 2023. Does their process, or whatever it is, still apply if we are using your tool over top of the Tiller Sheets?

Thanks,
Tina

1 Like

Hi Tina, glad you like it. So do I :roll_eyes:

So for the reimbursements categories set them to type=Expense. This will allow them to show up. I understand that they are not your expenses but they do represent ash leaving your accounts. Once they are reimbursed the amounts will zero out, so it won’t impact any reports.

For the 2nd question, I am not sure what they are going to cover but all that is need to be ready for 2023 is to add columns to the categories sheet to match the months for 2023. Depending on when you downloaded the UE sheets they may already be there. Then just put in your budget amounts for each envelope. Or just copy them over from 2022. It’s super simple.

I have used the same sheet since 2019 with no impact on performance.

Excellent! Thanks :smile:

Also, can you point me in the direction of the best thread here in the community to help me see things on my mobile device?

I think this is the best thread for mobile

While the sheets and the data are different, the bones are still there to make it work with UE

I feel like the dumbiest of them all at this point…

So I got the Ultimate Envelope 2.2 tonight (mostly because of jemmoa7’s praise (and guess what… He is way more skilled than I am))
Which I guess is the latest version of “new envelope budget v 2.0”.

Opened the beauty and linked it with the tiller money feed extension…
Now there is sample datas such as transactions, sample accounts etc… How do I clean up these ? (I deleted the rows of the sample transactions but it doesn’t quite work with the sample accounts)

Then, what do I do if I still want some tiller sheets ? (think cashflow graphs, retirement thingies etc)… Do I import them in Ultimate envelopes or do I import all the sheets of ultimate envelopes in foundation ? And if so, how and how do I replace the transaction, account etc. sheets ?

I also read part of the manual…
I imported the sheet envelope in foundations (I guess it meant to import it in foundation) but there is no option in tool>Script editor to authorize a script to run on open.

In short (and I will skip the story on having to nuke my Tiller foundation template altogether) I have no idea what I am doing and would love some very step by step help to just install this and basic order of setup.

Thank you !

First let me send you a template with no sample data. This will make it easier for you to get started.

Second, in the email that was sent when you bought was a link to a notion site that has a bunch of how to’s

Lastly, if you have any questions, you can email me at ultimateenvelopes@thescottland.com. And I can help. If needed we can hop on a zoom call to get you setup quickly. After the holidays of course

Thank you and Happy Holidays.

1 Like

Hello,
I sent you an email (which was blocked by apple based on Postmaster information for iCloud Mail - Apple Support)
I am resending it here in private message.
Thank you for the fast answer!

Interesting, I just tested the email address and it worked.

Regardless, I sent you separate note.

I will also update the notion page with these instructions.

-R

News from the front…
The only way I was able to make it work was to import the leftover Tiller sheet by sheet to UE.

Then, linked that to the Tiller launcher, it fills the transactions, add the accounts and balances.
Now, as I add my categories, the funding account shows as invalid, the drop down doesn’t show anything… it looks like it takes its data from =‘Account Calculations’!$G$4:$G$30
In the sheet Account Calculations, the Id column shows an error, the rest is blank
So I went to see the sheet reference, x, z and aa show an error as well

It seems to be doing the same thing in the sample.