Processing company reimbursements

This seems so basic, but I’ve not seen a good simple post about it.

I pay for stuff, the company pays me back. But… I need this workflow:

1. Find all reimbursable expenses which have not yet be reimbursed
  2. Put them in their own sheet which I can export and send to finance with receipts
  3. When I receive the reimbursement, check off that these transactions have been reimbursed

Right now, I just see that there are “categories” but that’s not really correct… also no way to handle the workflow part of it, or even see all transactions in a category in a new place (without my own FILTERS, etc)

Searched this forum and community templates but nothing obvious came up.

In the old days of quicken and what not, I’d have a separate account, I’d transfer the expense to that account, and then I would know when it was cleared, because I’d transfer a positive amount to that account to zero it out.

HI @jacobsingh I use the Tags Report and Tags column in the Transactions sheet to do this when I have reimbursements I need to track for Tiller. I use three tags:

• Unpaid
  • Submitted
  • Paid

You could export the Tags Report as a PDF for the “Unpaid” items then tag those all as “Submitted” after you’ve sent that. Then tag them as “Paid” once you’ve received the reimbursement.

I also use a “Receipt” column in my Transactions sheet and input a link to the receipt (stored in my gDrive) as technically since I’m being reimbursed I need to hold on to those receipts for tax audit purposes as well.

3 Likes

Hello @heather !

I’m just curious.

Very seldom do I pay for work stuff out of pocket, and then wait for a reimbursement.
I do have a HSA (Health Spending Account with a Max of $900 I think).

Is there any reason that I should not do this instead?
Then use the Insight Trends Report to see if I have been Paid back in Full.

• Work Purchase Total $125.00
  • Work Reimbursed Total $100.00
  • I know I am still waiting for $25.00

P.S. Then when I want to run actual income / expense reports, I just hide the Reimbursable Group.

Thanks

Hello all!

Tiller newbie here. I’ve read through the reimbursement topics and am still unclear how to handle. My situation is as follows:

My company gave me an AmEx for company expenses. I am obligated to pay it off each month out of my own pocket and then get a company reimbursement after submitting an expense report. I include add’l expenses (mileage, tolls) which makes the total reimbursement more than the AmEx bill due.

In my google sheet, how do I account for laying out the cash and then getting more back then the AmEx bill paid?

Appreciating this community and the assistance!

Here’s what I’d probably do:

-Use a tag (Work or Reimbursable) for the additional expenses that are not on the AmEx.
-Add manual transactions for any cash expenditures. Have them come out of a cash account that you create.
-When the reimbursement comes in, split that transaction between the AmEx bill amount and the other expenses.
-Then you can check the other expenses against the amount with the tag that you are using.

Appreciate it @dmetiller !

What I do is simply have a Work Expense and then when I get reimbursed I apply it to that so eventually it should be at 0.

1 Like

What I like to do with this type of category is to make one Group called something like “Work Expenses and Reimbursements”, then have two Categories in that Group, called something like “Work Expenses” and “Work Reimbursements” (both marked as an “Expense” type). Then categorize all expenses you incur as “Work Expenses”, (the credit card bill is just a Transfer), and the reimbursement you ultimately receive is categorized as a “Work Reimbursement”. I would likely then split the “Work Reimbursement” amount that comes in between the expected amount of work expenses you incurred directly, vs. the reimbursement for mileage and tolls which would be embedded in your regular car expenses – and then categorize the mileage/tolls piece into whatever category you use to track gas/tolls/parking/etc. so that you can (1) more easily see when your Work Expenses and Reimbursements group zeros out, and (2) better understand your personal vehicle expenses net of your mileage/tolls. The frequency of each type of transaction would also influence how I’d to it to get a good balance between a system that is sustainable and informative.

1 Like