Trend View - See the big picture

What is the goal of your workflow? What problem does it solve, or how does it help you?
Looking at trends is better than looking at small sections of time. If I buy a lot of groceries at the end of the month, I’m over budget but next month maybe I’m under budget. By looking at more months together I can see the over/under spending trends
How did you come up with the idea for your workflow?
I struggle with looking at multi column reports that have so much information to process.

Please describe your workflow. What are the sheets? Does it use any custom scripts or formulas?
The key to this worksheet is the “pulldown” in the upper let corner. Here you select whether you want to look at “Budget”, “Actual” or “Differences”. Based on your selection it will show you numbers from the Budget sheet, Transactions sheet, or Budget sheet amounts minus Transactions sheet amounts, respectively
The "Budget tab is filled in with “transactions” for each month and category for your budgeted income and expense

Anything else you’d like people to know?
This isn’t the prettiest worksheet, but shows you the big picture so you can go back and drill down on the details if necessary

Is it ok for others to copy, use, and modify your workflow?
Sure

If you said yes above, please make a copy of your workflow and share the copy’s URL:

@ivan.lantz I love your Trendview template. I had a few questions and potential ideas on it, any chance you’d care to chat about it?

Sure, I’m working on a few more items to dress it up, but I’m happy to discuss it with you. Feel free to email me here or at ivan.lantz@gmail.com

Ivan

I am definitely going to add this idea to my tiller doc! I think I will form mine into a graph and include only auto paid bills. That way I can see when a specific bill unexpectedly goes up (like cable…) Thank you for this!

This is a great trend view and I wish it was the default for Tiller as I agree having so many columns and scrolling in the default tiller view makes it useless for me.

My only wish for it would be to integrate with the tiller default template a bit better, but maybe tiller could help with that?