Customization to confirm receipts and AutoCat choices

What is the goal of your workflow? What problem does it solve, or how does it help you?
In the Transaction sheet, this customization creates a visual cue where the shaded category field of a transaction signals the need to confirm the transaction’s associated receipt.

How did you come up with the idea for your workflow?
One of the steps my wife and I have learned over the years is, “Get and save the receipt!” We keep every receipt from every transaction to use as a confirmation that the bank transaction actually matches the point-of-sale receipt. I wanted a way to “check off” each transaction in Tiller, confirming we have proof of each.

Please describe your workflow. What are the sheets? Does it use any custom scripts or formulas?
This uses a cell customization rule that checks for a “True/False” condition in a new column I added to the Transactions sheet. This new column is column G in the formula. I added a blank check box to each cell in the column. An unchecked box is the False condition. As long as the box is unchecked, the Category cell of the associated transaction, column F, remains shaded. As soon as a checkmark is placed in the the box in column G, the shading disappears in column F. We place a check in the box when we actually have “eyes on” the transaction’s receipt and confirm the amount or need for splits. Illustrations below:

Anything else you’d like people to know?
We also use this approach to confirm that the category choice made by AutoCat is correct or needs an adjustment. A check in the box is the double-check that we have intentionally reviewed the category and confirmed the transaction with its receipt.

Is it ok for others to copy, use, and modify your workflow?
Yes.

If you said yes above, please make a copy of your workflow and share the copy’s URL:
Under conditional formatting in Sheets, here’s the formula and how it appears in our Transaction sheet. (In the F2:F5258 portion of the formula, enter F2:F. What is shown is simply the default, last row of my sheet.)

And this is how it looks in the Transaction sheet.
Screenshot 2020-11-13 123208

Love this! Thanks for sharing @Brad.warren! :white_check_mark:

Simple solutions are always the best, @Brad.warren! My wife and I also save all our receipts so that I can verify that there’s no “holes in my pockets”. I chose to signal the receipt verification by manually categorizing the transaction. It works for me because I don’t have that many transactions (in the grand scheme of things) to go through, but if my transaction volume grows too much I will use your method!

Completely agree, @dnlhflnd. Let simplicity ring!
Best.

This is awesome @Brad.warren. Does anyone know how to do this in Excel?