Do you create a new sheet each year?

I am at a loss whether to create a new sheet for each year or to keep the sheet running year after year. These are pretty large spreadsheets. Will it even be able to run with many years of data building up?

Our Foundation Template can handle multiple years of data, so when a new year begins, you can add that years data to your spreadsheet. Here’s more on that:

Thanks for the info @warren. I have 1.5 years of data in my sheet right now. I know that it is a capability but my question is more around performance impact. Currently, my sheet is somewhat slow (compared to other Gsheets) and bogs down my computer after some time. I can’t imagine what the performance will be like with 3, 4, 5 years of data :flushed:

Got it!! Here is a good discussion on this topic.

Speaking from personal experience, I have two Tiller Money spreadsheets I use all the time. One if for our family, and in that one I keep a list of transactions that is many years long. I keep that sheet running fast with 17,000 transactions by keeping processor intensive reports to a minimum. For example, I don’t let extra pivot tables sit around collecting dust if I’m not using them.

In the other spreadsheet we use to manage the finances for Tiller Money the company, each spring (a few months into the new year) we make a duplicate spreadsheet, for example called “2019 Archive”, and use that to store last year’s data. Then in the live spreadsheet we prune prior year data. That keeps it small and fast.

Two approaches, both work.

Hi @hbwilliams22,
Similar to @peter, I use both approaches. But then I throw in a 3rd.

For family transactions, I make a new Spreadsheet each year.

For business expenses, I just have one Spreadsheet with multiple years.

But for the family transactions, I also make a New Spreadsheet where each tab is an import of the Yearly Transactions sheet. I use the IMPORTRANGE() function to pull in the Transactions report for every year.

More info about IMPORTRANGE() here:
https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093340?hl=en

Then I have a Everything sheet which pulls in all the Yearly transactions sheets into one sheet using the formula:
={'2020'!A:K;'2019'!A2:K;'2018'!A2:K;'2017'!A2:K}

This makes multi-year reports or searches much easier.

I only pull in Columns A thru K in each years Transactions sheet.

This sheet gives me the best of both worlds and keep performance fast.

Jon

1 Like