Enter to Win a Set of 2021’s Best Books About Money (So Far)

My major goal for the remainder of 2021 is to learn more about investing on my own (rather than rely on Financial Planner). Allocate some of my superannuation to have a small pool to begin this journey.

1 Like

These responses are fantastic - and inspiring. Just a note that we have extended the drawing for one more week. We’ll pull winners on Wednesday, July 7, after the holiday. Stay tuned!

1 Like

Hey everyone,

I started using Tiller right around the beginning of this year, but this is my first time posting on the community. As far as my family’s goals for the remainder of 2021, we have a few:

IRA is maxed out, so now what’s left is maxing out my TSP.
My wife quit her job and started training independently online and in person; we are working hard to build her business.
Increase my education, particularly on tax strategy and all of the things that coming along with self-employment.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to reading these regardless of who the winner is!

-Marshall

I’ve been using Tiller for a few years, but I have some brand new goals (as of last week) based on my wife leaving her steady income job and joining a small partnership where pay is effectively 100% commission. My goals:

• Be able to accurately segregate my wife’s business income and expenses to create actionable insights into how her business is going (we’re not yet at the point of needing segregated accounts, but that might come later).

• Be able to keep our pre-existing budget on track, even though we’re taking a sizeable short-term income hit in hopes of a long-term earnings boost.

• Keep detailed track of our health care spending, as this is the first year we’re trying a high-deductible/HSA plan. I really want to figure out if this is a better decision.

My 2021 goal is to do better with my finances!

1. Budget better and set up cash flow
  2. Pay down debt!
  3. Learn and grow
  4. Save and invest more
  5. Start my not-for-profit! 501c3

I am in the middle of a huge life transition. I want to use this opportunity of getting divorced to reassess my financial plan. I want to look at all the money I have, where it is, and what makes the most sense to do with it. I want to make decisions that will support me in my future. So really I guess my financial goal is to find all my money and investments and make a conscious decision on what they are doing and if that is the right place for them. Then make any adjustments that seem aligned with where I am now and where I am headed.

Goals for 2021 Q3&4

• Reduce recurring monthly expenses from ~$1000 to $750

• Save about $500/month towards 1st home

• Leverage credit card perks to save more

Goals for 2nd half of the year:

• finish paying off cc balance
  • communicate more with our kids about their spending and the family budget
  • save $200/month for Christmas gifts
  • Save $500 for deck replacement
  • Pay off my student loan (4 more payments :slight_smile: )

2021 goals:

Fund Roth IRAs for wife and I. Continue to max out HSA and 401k. Hopefully pay off at least 1 car loan.

Hopefully find money for a family trip finally.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to get a college fund established for my kids for a while now. I really hope to take another concrete step to either getting that done, or actually opening the account later this year. It would be a huge weight off my shoulders to know that is started and they won’t be saddled with debt like I was after college.

1 Like

My goals for the rest of 2021:

• Add another $6k to my savings
  • Transfer an old 403b account to a new investment account
  • Go back to basics: do a better job of truly sticking to my budget and not moving expenses from different categories around. I haven’t been doing a great job in the last few months of actually sticking to my plan.

Also proud to say that I met my goal of entirely paying off some credit card debt I racked up a few years ago in Feb. of this year. Yay! That was a huge weight off my shoulders.

1 Like

I plan to pay off a large credit card balance and get a better handle on how I’m spending in various categories using Tiller.

My overall goal for 2021 is to strike the right balance between paying down my private student loans and saving/investing. (I was previously putting all extra money towards student loans while neglecting my long-term saving goals)

• Refinance my student loans to a lower interest rate and higher monthly payment to pay off sooner.

• Invest the remaining money (maximize IRA contributions, keep a healthy emergency fund, and have a general investing account)

1 Like

I’m hoping to pay off one of my auto loans in the 2nd half of 2021 and use insights from Tiller to decide what next to take on.

What an awesome giveaway idea! During the second half of 2021, I’ll hit my 5-year anniversary of being in the working world post-graduation. To commemorate that milestone, I’d like to:

• Meet (or exceed!) 25% of my retirement goal using the Net Worth tracker
  • Finally tackle the “backdoor Roth IRA
  • Meet my savings goal to finally go on the 3-month sabbatical in South America I’ve been dreaming of!

Thanks, Tiller team, for everything that you do!

1 Like

My goal for the remainder of 2021 are as follows:

Reduce CC debt by $10,000.00 so I am able to refinance my vehicle. I am monetizing an idea to generate additional revenue.
Increase my savings account by $2500.00

Evaluate timing of withdrawals from traditional 401k/IRA, Roth 401k/IRA, and regular brokerage account holdings to determine tax impact on cash flow

• Catch up entering manual transactions to account for taxes withheld - Fed, State, Social Security, Medicare (This allows me to more holistically track gross expenses rather than post withholdings, and I’m a couple years behind)
  • Increase my spouse’s 401(k) contribution (first account maxed, this account is small)
  • Review & rationalize automatically monthly expenses

So many goals for the near term! These books would help me reach my core goal.

The biggest focus is saving for specific needs and wants. I do micro investing every day in 10 different accounts (on the same app platform) to save for vacation, do specific home improvement projects, and buy a new car (a few years away).

Saving everyday and seeing the accounts add up is really rewarding. I want to not be tempted to withdraw funds before reaching a specific goal. (Vacation is important, right?)

One of my financial goals for the second half of 2021 is to finish carefully tracking my expenses so that I have a comprehensive view of my expenses for an entire year.