Help with bank acquistion- how to handle old/new accounts

The bank that held my primary checking and my mortgage was recently acquired by another bank. I added the new bank to tiller but the problem is the spreadsheet continues to carry forward my last known balances from the old bank on my balance sheet in addition to the current balances from the new bank.

How do I handle this?

The ideal situation would be that I could tell tiller to treat the old account and the new account as one, so in my spreadsheet it looked like one continuous flow of data.

If the above isn’t possible I need to know how to make the old bank balances show up in my historical data prior to 4/26 only and the new bank show up starting 4/27.

Help!

Thanks

Hi @joshmccormackpt,

When you added the new bank to your Console do you see new instances of the accounts?

If so, you probably will just want to link those new instances to the spreadsheet. This may result in some duplicates because of a potential 90 day overlap that you’ll want to clean up manually.

Let me know if this doesn’t help.

Heather

The new bank is a separate website and log in and is in my tiller sheet. The problem is my account balance page shows 2 checking accounts and 2 mortgages. How do I prevent the old bank accounts from continuing to show up on my account balances and networth sheets? I want the historical balances from it but don’t want continued duplicate balances. Not worried about transactions, already taken care of. Just need balances and networth fixed. Thanks

@heather

Bumping this old thread - I have the same question. The bank that held my mortgage merged with another bank. The old account no longer exists. I know how to link the new account, but I’m wondering the best accounting practice in Tiller to reflect this change.

You are able to find and replace all old instances of the old account to match the new account entries. I believe there is a help article somewhere but ive been unable to find it with the short amount of time i have but basically you would change the account name of all old entries to be the new one, this should merge the two together so that the balances over time show up as one account.

1 Like

I am not sure where the help article is, but you are correct. If you go to the Balance History Sheet, you just need to over-right the old Account ID with the new Accounts ID

This effectively makes them the same account according to Tiller

1 Like

But it wouldn’t change the old transaction’s accounts.

Correct. The ID Is just how tiller maps to the balances section . So this will just allow the old transactions to appear to be part of the new account. I have had to do this a few times

1 Like

I believe this is the article/steps you’re referring to.

2 Likes

That’s the one! Thanks Morgan

1 Like

This is awesome. Thank you so much!