Home Value for Net Worth

What is the best way to manually add the value of my home (and vehicles if I want to get that granular) to the Net Worth sheets? Is it as simple as adding a line underneath all the other assets, or should I enter it into one of the background sheets that the Net Worth sheet is pulling its info from?

I added my house and automobiles to the Accounts tab (may be hidden) then manually insert a line on the Balance Updates tab once a month for each. [That was before I realized there was a tool in the sidebar for adding and updating manual accounts. Hereā€™s an article on that feature: https://help.tillerhq.com/en/articles/3251091-adding-balances-for-manual-accounts]

For home value, I get an email from Zillow once a month. For cars, I use CarFax (https://www.carfax.com/value/) and enter the condition/miles/color/etc. Itā€™s a ballpark value but gives me a decent picture of the overall, and keeps the loans from making my Net Worth overly negative.

5 Likes

Great guidance, @jameswoosley. The only thing Iā€™d clarify is that the Accounts sheet functions essentially as optional overrides to content in the Balance History sheet. New accounts will be available in the Accounts sheet dropdown once they have at least one row of data in the Balance History sheet.

If a new account is added via a single balance entry in Balance History, it doesnā€™t need a configuration row in the Accounts sheet unless overrides for Class, Group and Hide are desired.

If you want to add an unlinked (non automated feeds) account (e.g. a home value), add it to Balance History FIRST. You can do this by manually adding a new row in that table or by using the manual balance tool.

If you want to go next level, consider integrating the Tiller Labs Zillow script. It requires a bit of confidence with scripts and configuration, but it can make tracking home values easier once setup.

Hope this helps, @dnlhflnd.
Randy

4 Likes

Thanks for the tips @jameswoosley and @randy - I greatly appreciate it! My net worth isnā€™t nearly as depressing now! :laughing:

Thanks Gentlemen, I was about ready to post the exact question jameswoosley addressed! My thanks to jameswoosley, Randy, and dnlhflnd! Networth is not as depressingā€¦

1 Like

Glad to hear it, @hall.thomas.e!

@jack

Please see the message I just sent to you.

Blake

Does anyone else use multiple sources to get estimated values for house and cars?

Mint will auto calculate an amount for both. B

need to be able to add Zillow like an account with auto-update, this is what Mint had

Was able to use Redfin to pull the data in, then setup a tab with all the balance history, had to use the manual account link in the side bar to enter the first valuation and get an account ID then updated the daily input,
Formula to update the state, town, street, and redfin number on, use the browser inspection to right click on the home value then right click in the html and get xpath, didnā€™t need to use Full Xpath just regular xpath, remember to replace any additional " with ā€™ quote so it is " ā€™ ā€™ " within the string:
=IMPORTXML(ā€œhttps://www.redfin.com/state/town/street/home/number","xpathā€)

@jpn.moore Can you give a more specific example? It does not work for me as it just results in #n/a
Thank you!

@bwentwor works fine for any random address I enter, for sample purposes only: =IMPORTXML(ā€œhttps://www.redfin.com/OH/Columbus/6700-Red-Sunset-Pl-43213/home/79495166","//*[@id=ā€˜contentā€™]/div[11]/div[2]/div[1]/div/div/div/div[1]/div[2]/div/div/div/div/div[1]/divā€)

Thank you for the example. I kept trying over and over. Iā€™ll use that example for my own address! Much appreciated! Have a great holiday!

1 Like

@jpm.moore Hi Joel. The URL for Redfin has been working well for a few months now. But, in the last few days, it has suddenly showed #N/A. Is yours still working?

@bwentwor I got N/A as well, I re-did the xpath and it worked again, Redfin must have pushed a website update that changed the nesting

Joel

@jpm.moore Thank you!