How are transactions added?

I have been trying to figure out how each transaction actually gets added into the Transactions sheet. If possible, I would like to try to break down the Transactions sheet into separate Account Transaction sheets. Is that even possible?

@jdackson, transactions are added based on the accounts that are linked to the sheet and are all added to the Transactions sheet. That’s the “core sheet” if you will.

You may find the Accounts Filter sheet useful
Add an Account Filter sheet

You’ll still need to categorize transactions on the Transactions sheet, but you can review all transaction for a select account separate from other accounts.

Heather

Okay. Thanks @heather
One more question, on more of a Google Sheets level. How do make sure a new transaction row has the formula of the prior rows. For example, I have added a columns that identify category, group, and hidden using a simple formula referencing the Categories sheet, but the new transactions do not automatically get the formula. Is it possible to have the formulas automatically added to the new transactions?

Hi @jdackson,
The best way to have a formula automatically added to new transactions is to put the formula in Row 1 and use the arrayformula function.

If you put a formula in any other row, I don’t think it will work as new transactions are automatically entered.

Here’s an example formula that puts the Type (Income/Expense/Transfer) in each Transaction row:
=ARRAYFORMULA(IF(ISBLANK(A:A),IFERROR(1/0),VLOOKUP(C:C,'Categories'!A:C,3,FALSE)))

In my case, Column C in the Transaction sheet is for Category. That’s why the lookup uses C:C.

Also, Column A in the Categories sheet is the list of Categories and Column C is the Type. Since those are the names in Row 1 of the Categories sheet, the lookup of Category returns Type as the Column name where the formula goes.

If there is no entry in Transactions Column A (ISBLANK(A:A)), then no entry will be made in the Type column.

By adjusting the VLOOKUP formula, this method can work with any column from the Categories sheet.

Let us know if that works for you.

Jon

I tried out a similar function today with an IF(ROW(S1)=1,”Type”,ARRAYFORMULA(. . .)) statement.

(I don’t have the exact formula in front of me right now)

I will try out your suggestion too.

Thanks for the assistance!!

2 Likes