Is it possible to access Google Apps Scripts used by Tiller extension?

I get a notification on my phone every time a transaction occurs on my credit card. I am creating a solution to capture the data from these notifications and merge the transactions into my Tiller data, so that I can always have an up to date budget. (I am also doing this, because it is easier to categorize transactions when they occur, rather than waiting a few days for them to automatically sync from my bank.) As part of the solution I am creating, I would like to process the captured transactions in the same way AutoCat processes transactions in Tiller.

One of the things I appreciate most about Tiller is it’s commitment to transparency in the way formulas are used in the Tiller templates. It would be wonderful if users had similar access to the Google Apps Scripts used by the Tiller extensions. Is there any way I could see the Google Apps Scripts code used by AutoCat, so that I can more easily craft my solution to integrate captured transactions?

Hi @DannyD,

This sounds like a very interesting solution and I can totally see the value!

The code in our add-on isn’t open source so there isn’t a way to view it or access it at this time, but I will double check with our engineers on whether there might be a way to call the AutoCat run function from another Apps Script based code base that has access to the same sheet.

Heather

1 Like

@DannyD

How do you associate those CC transactions from your emails that you add to the sheet with the transactions TIller imports/fills?

@heather

If not the code, at least some details on what the code does, and in what order.

I can see all the formulas and figure out what they do. But I’d like better insights into what the server-side code is doing. My assumption so far is that the fill function does this, in this order:

1. Connect to Tiller back-end to get new transactions
  2. Add those transactions to Transactions sheet
  3. Update balances sheet

But I’m sure there is more.

Hi @imthenachoman - great questions.

This is the basic process:

1. Refresh (yodlee pulls data from the bank) may or may not be automatic depending on security settings and/or whether auto refresh has been enabled
  2. update our database with data from refresh
  3. fill the sheet - this is done manually using the Fill button or if you’re using Google Sheets you can turn on a once daily scheduled fill using the Auto Fill setting.

The fill adds transactions to the bottom of the Transactions sheet then sorts the Transactions sheet newest to oldest and sets “watermarks” along the way so the add-on knows where it left off. Then it adds balance history entries to the Balance History sheet, then sorts the balance history sheet, and sets watermarks.

If you have AutoCat set to Auto Run on Fill then the transactions are processed against your rules before they are added to the Transactions sheet.

Let me know if that doesn’t help.

Great. Thank you.

Once the automation fills the sheet, is there some event that triggers that I can hook into in GAS? Such that I can do some custom automation post transaction import.

I’m not totally sure on that one, but my guess is probably not. I don’t think there would any events that you’d be able to access.

Thanks. It would be a good feature enhancement for power users. There are a few easy-ish ways it could be coded.

1. User creates web-app against their own Tiller Google sheet and publishes/expose URL
  2. User provides Tiller URL of their web-app API
  3. When Tiller completes a fill, it just makes a call to that URL

It’s not a huge need but would be super cool!

1 Like

Recommend searching for or adding a feature request :slight_smile: