Say Hello, Money With Tiller’s New Daily Email Update

Originally published at: Say Hello, Money With Tiller’s Updated Daily Email - Tiller

The Daily Email Update was one of Tiller’s most popular features. It showed the daily balances and new transactions across all your linked accounts in one simple email.

Along with our customers, Tiller’s team loved the Daily Email. However, we knew it could be even more helpful without becoming (much) more complicated.

With that goal, we combined your feedback with our vision of a service that makes “keeping up with your finances as easy as opening your inbox each day.”

Today we’re releasing the first iteration of that vision as Hello, Money, while saying goodbye to the Daily Email Update.

What is Hello, Money?

Like the Daily Email Update, Hello, Money shows the daily balances and new transactions across all your selected financial accounts:

• Monitor all your selected accounts in one email
  • See where your money went yesterday
  • Know your updated balances today
  • Catch unexpected charges
  • Stop fraud before it spreads

Hello, Money adds some new features as well.

Account refresh details

You’ll now see when your accounts were last refreshed next to each institution in the email. This confirms your data is current, and shows you if accounts need to be refreshed on the Tiller Console.

Clear account organization

Hello, Money uses your custom account nicknames instead of the default account names. For example, you could name one Chase checking account “Family Chase Checking” and another “Personal Chase Debit.”

You’ll also see your latest transactions organized by Institution then the respective Account.

Customize what’s included

You can now mix and match what you see in your Hello, Money email. For example, you might choose to see:

• Refresh information only for accounts with no transactions or balance information
  • Just transactions and no balances
  • Just balances and no transactions
  • No data for the selected account at all
  • Any combination you’d like on a per account basis

Net balances summary

Hello, Money provides a quick pulse on your net worth. See your total current liabilities subtracted from your total current assets in the new balances summary table.

Scannable layout

While the Daily Email Update was plain text, we added some additional formatting to make Hello, Money easier to scan and digest at a glance.

Share your thoughts

With Hello, Money, we’re making it effortless to keep up with your finances each day. We hope it becomes part of your morning routine, so you always feel confident about what’s happening with your money.

You can take it for a spin by customizing Hello, Money on the Tiller Console at https://my.tillerhq.com and then click the preview button to get it delivered to your inbox on demand.

We’re eager to answer your questions and hear your feedback. If you have questions or feedback, reply to this community topic.

14 Likes

HOLY MOLY!! This is fabulous. wow. Thank you!

5 Likes

This is AWESOME!!! Thank you Tiller Team

3 Likes

One of my favorite parts of my day is checking my daily Tiller email :blue_heart:

I guess it would have to support manual accounts for Net Worth to be meaningful for me :thinking:

6 Likes

I love the new ability to select accounts for inclusion in the daily email. And the addition of last refresh dates, even when the balance and transactions are excluded! :slight_smile:

Thanks to the new configuration options I’ve removed accounts I don’t want in a (fairly insecure) daily email. That makes the new large and bold “Total Assets/Liabilities/Balances” sums of the subset of accounts that I’m comfortable getting in an email, not meaningful values to me. It’d be nice to not need to scroll past these to see recent transactions. How about only including a total when the balance of all accounts fetched by Tiller are displayed in the email?

2 Likes

Very nice upgrade. I agree with @Mark.S that support for manual accounts is necessary to make Net Worth work for many people.

5 Likes

We should have a toggle to ignore/hide the account with no transactions or $0 balance. Otherwise, the list is huge and you have to scroll to see everything vs just seeing all the transactions at that glance at the top of the email

2 Likes

Heather, this is fantastic! The work that you’ve done with “Hello” is truly impressive.

Excellent work!

Could you please clarify if this report will be sent out daily? If so, when will it commence? Additionally, do I need to take any steps to receive it automatically?

Apologies for the barrage of questions.

1 Like

:wave: @hgomez, welcome!

Yes, this email is intended to be sent out each morning automatically. To enable it to automatically send toggle on the “Receive Hello, Money” option on the Tiller Console at https://my.tillerhq.com (right now it’s at the bottom below your Connected Account Summary, but hoping it will move to above the list of accounts soon).

It is supposed to commence/continue automatic send today. I was receiving the daily email each day at 9:04AM EDT and I haven’t yet received this new version this morning. There may be a delay in processing because some settings migrations are also happening in the background with this first run.

We’re monitoring things on our side to make sure it’s being properly sent. There were a lot of moving parts with this release!

Thanks for your feedback. We’ll take this into consideration for a future release. I know you’re asking for it to automatically do it for you based on the balance, but that might get tricky so I’m not sure we’d be able to do it. For now, I’d recommend toggling those off on the Console.

Interesting idea. Would it help if the Balances Summary were below the Transactions list? The original design had the transactions at the top. I’m curious what’s most important to people - Balance Summary at the top or Transactions at the top.

Definitely agree with this! Hopefully at some point Manual Accounts would be something you add/update on the Console (or are at least accessible to our backend) so this would be possible. Right now because they’re local to the spreadsheet and we don’t sync anything from the sheet to our databases we’d have a good bit of work to do to support this feature.

Glad you’re excited about it @susandennis and @bentyre1 !

This is helpful feedback!

1 Like

Mine seems to be bugged - I’ve received the email 3 times already this morning, and it has only the names of the accounts and when they were refreshed - no transactions (nor a note that there were no transactions) and no balances.

Just some observations so far:

• I received my daily email a little later than usual. Because I opted into the old version I saw transactions and balances for ALL accounts - including my ARCHIVED accounts because my personal Tiller account (yes I use this product for my own financial management :wink: ) is from the “legacy” period.
  • I received THREE emails so far, the two after the full email only contained my refresh information

IF you have archived accounts like me, I recommend toggling those off on the Tiller Console (make sure they have “archived” in the account name so you can tell them apart, but we’ll push a change to get those out of there without you having to toggle them off.

Welcome @stephonee thanks for letting us know. Hopefully you won’t get more than 3 :grimacing:

I also got three per my post above :point_up: but the first one did have my transaction and balance info in it. The second and third had only the refresh info. Can you confirm?

Also, I think the best thing to do is to head over to the Tiller Console and toggle the email OFF then ON again and set up your customizations the way you want to see it tomorrow.

Overall I like the improvements. Iam trying to figure out how the accounts are sorted. It doesn’t look alphabetical or based on balance. It just seems random. Any insights?

1 Like

I didn’t notice that either at first, but I got the email 4 times this morning.

I also got three emails this morning. The new email is nice, but one time per morning is probably plenty.

Maybe an alternative would be to allow the networth to be toggled off if not valuable for some. It takes up a bit of space

1 Like

@withak thanks for letting us know. The intent is that it would only be sent once :slight_smile: something went wrong with the send. Our team is looking into it.

Good idea on the show net worth toggle @richl - maybe for a future iteration.

1 Like

I suspect it’ll be hard to find an order that everyone loves all the time… I’m not sure which order I’d like the most (balances first? transactions first? sort by account first? :exploding_head:) but the totals are not particularly useful for me and people using manual accounts.

I got zinged with some overdraft fees recently and think this refresh will make it easier for me to monitor what’s happening. Thank you!

It looks like the emails are all different. They have the same account data and overall structure, but different emails have different transactions ( for the same account)