Storing HSA receipts - compressing files on mobile phone

How do you store your HSA receipts? I use a folder within google drive, but want to know the best way to upload from a mobile phone and have the most compressed file. Sometimes I’ll take a picture but it’s 4 MB for a small receipt, or scan to pdf and it’s still pretty big. I’d love to do this in a just a few easy steps on a phone. I know I can do more on a computer but I usually take a picture of the receipt on my phone when I’m still at the dr office and would love to not have to get to my computer later to fix it.

(We used to use Health Equity that had a way to upload the receipts to their website, but now our employer is switching to Optum bank so we will need to store them ourselves. )

I don’t have a great answer for you, @wipersnaz. I haven’t worried about file size too much with my receipt uploads… but then again every time I open gDrive I see this now…

:person_shrugging:

Let me know if you find a solution.

Hi @wipersnaz - I was running into the same problem with large file sizes being generated when I was trying to move from away from a paper file system. Using an iPhone as my scanner, I found that even using some of Apple’s built-in features like scanning directly from Notes generated files that were too large in my opinion. I couldn’t resolve how to get them compressed adequately. Eventually I found that the “Scannable” app was the best choice for me at this time. You have a choice of PDF or image and can either use it as a companion to Evernote or send the file elsewhere - I temporarily drop it to iCloud and then organize it later.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the scannable app and didn’t think that was the right solution for me. I found 'Image Resizer" and am trying that. I tested one picture to see the different uploading options. Here is how it worked:

Compressed orignial photo using Image Resizer app 201 kb
Google drive scan to pdf grayscale 855 kb
Google drive scan to pdf photo 1.9 Mb
Google drive scan to pdf b&w 848 kb
Google drive scan to pdf color 1.6 Mb
Original photo from phone 3.2 Mb

I think something kyleT might have been using is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adobe.scan.android&hl=en_US&gl=US
But if as you said the scannable app isn’t working for you hopefully the resizer works without reducing readability?
But the main point of converting a picture to an OCR file is that with text, especially just black and white is that the “image” only has two colors to remember and lots of white space to make it easier to compress. So unlike a picture where the file needs remember information about every single pixel, it can compress more efficiently.

I, too, have found that many moblile scanning apps create unnecessarily large files. The ones built in to other apps (notes, file storage) seem like the worst offenders.

On my iPhone, I like Scanner by Readdle: Scanner App for iPhone and iPad | Best Scanning App | Scanner Pro

I find its scans are usually well under 500kb (single-page, black & white).

1 Like