Tiller Announces Open Banking Support for American Express Accounts

Originally published at: Tiller Announces Open Banking Support For American Express Accounts - Tiller

Today Tiller is thrilled to announce open banking support for some American Express accounts, with a better customer experience and enhanced privacy and security.

The open banking connection for these American Express sites will be available for existing and new Tiller customers beginning June 12, 2023. 

Please note, at this time the open banking connection will not be available for American Express personal savings or checking accounts. 

We are also eagerly awaiting news about USAA's timing for open banking, but we still don't have an official date yet and we have no control whatsoever over the timeline. We'll definitely keep everyone informed on that.

Click here to learn how to upgrade your American Express connections.

3 Likes

Thanks Heather - you always seem to have the answer to the question I’m about to ask before I actually ask it. I appreciate everything you all are doing over there!

Thanks @ACD ! And welcome to the Tiller Community :wave:

Thanks Heather (as always). When I switched to Open Banking for Amex, only my credit cards are available to “authorize” access for Tiller. In other words, I’m not able to add my Business Checking account this way and when trying the old way to refresh my Business Checking account, I keep getting an error message. Any guidance is appreciated!

Welcome @cfiordalis :wave:

The way Amex organizes their sites/accounts has definitely been confusing in the last several months and it seems like they’ve made some changes.

This upgrade does not apply to the American Express (Personal Savings) site/accounts.

It should apply to business checking accounts though so long as you can log in to this URL and see those business accounts?

If it has a separate login (e.g. you can’t see those when you log in to the Amex Cards site) you’d just want add another Amex instance (choose Add accounts and search American Express Cards - confusing I know) then use the credentials for business there.

Let me know how it goes.

Heather,

I have the same issue. When I try to login to AMEX Business Checking, I get a message that states, " We’re Sorry. The requested action requires account owner approval. Please have the authorized account holder provide authorization to proceed." When I close that page, I get the following message from Tiller, “The flow at the bank is not complete, so unable tom connect. Please try again later.”

This may be on the AMEX side of things but as far as I can tell, there is no way to provide authorization to proceed on AMEX’s website. Is this a problem that others are experiencing?

I would note that in your message above, the link to the AMEX sites that are affected references a site that ends in /in/. I do not see that as an option when I try to add or update AMEX Business Checking. The only option to select still ends in /us/. Does that make a difference?

At this point, I’ve tried deleting the account and re-adding it and now I can’t even add it back to my tiller spreadsheet.

Have you opened a case with our support team yet, @dsj421, via the chat window in the lower right corner of the Console at https://sheets.tillerhq.com/auth/login

Thanks Randy. I’ve done that now.

Glad to hear it. I hope the team can resolve it quickly.

Hi @dsj421 Did you ever get a resolution to this issue? I’ve experiencing it as well and can’t figure out how to get my Amex Business credit card tracking back online.

I would suggest you contact Tiller directly; I’m not sure what actually occurred on the back-end but I was able to get it working again once I updated my account details a few days after the issue originally presented itself.

1 Like

Yep, @dsj421 is right. Our support team can help with troubleshooting connection issues.

I’d recommend reaching out to our support team via the chat window in the lower right corner of the Console at https://my.tillerhq.com/