Tiller - Too much work

The Amazon card does not give more details in the transaction itself. In Chase (the provider for the Amazon card) you can log in and there’s a link to see what the specific item is. But you can’t download it to Tiller automatically.

Plus there’s a bigger problem, in that Amazon transactions are tied to the entire purchase (e.g. you buy 3 items at once). If you want to separate these out, you’ll need to split transactions. Frankly this was too complicated/cumbersome for my needs, so Amazon is just a black bucket which I categorize as “Home Goods” (as Amazon is typically stuff for the house anyway).

1 Like

Man, that does stink. Ill have to think through my budgeting process.

I started using Tiller in Dec of 23 and I absolutely love it. I was a Mint user for 20+ years and I was always downloading my transactions into Excel and doing analysis there anyway. Tiller uses Excel as my core and I’ve found my comfort zone. Also, the Amazon transaction coding is not a Tiller issue. I wish either Amazon would allow you to code the transaction upon purchase or that my wife would stop buying things. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The Amazon Prime VISA does not show extra detail.

The Amazon Prime STORE CARD (uses Synchrony Bank) does show purchase detail.

If your Amazon Prime Visa is carried by Chase, there is a way to identify source of what the charge is. Open your Chase account > select Prime Visa > select transactions > select the one which aligns to your spend amount > Look for the Description section > click on the “see order details” (actually a hyperlink and you will be directed to Amazon and the specific order.
We use Amazon quite a lot and I will do this methodically every Tiller workbook update, add a note into the Description field and then provide the correct category and group. If your Prime Visa is not Chase, maybe the other carriers provide the same or similar path/detail availability.

1 Like

Right. I think the lament is that at times there have been ways of automatically downloading transaction information from Amazon, so we wouldn’t have to do all of that. But it seems to be getting harder rather than easier to get it automatically.

1 Like