Sometimes it’s useful to compare transactions from one time period against transactions from another time period. This allows you to specify two time periods, and then an optional Group, Category,Tag and/or Description text to filter by. I have previously made a Google Sheets version available here.
How did you come up with the idea for your workflow?
Someone in the community was looking for this functionality, and I could envision what it might look like.
Download the Transactions Comparison workbook.
The instructions are for the desktop version of Excel, the web version is not recommended for the installation but does work once the Waterfall sheet is installed.
- Open your linked Tiller Feeds workbook in Excel (the file that already contains your transactions).
- Open the workbook you just downloaded in Excel (the one containing the Transactions Comparison template).
- Right-click on the Transactions Comparison sheet in the workbook you just downloaded and click “Move or Copy”.
- In the “To book” dropdown, select your linked Tiller Feeds workbook.
- Leave the “Create a copy” checkbox unchecked.
- In the “Before sheet” dropdown, select “(move to end)”, then click OK. If you receive an alert about a name conflict, just click Yes.
- The new worksheet should appear in your Tiller Feeds workbook with the name “Transactions Comparison”.
- Navigate to “Data / Edit Links…” in the menu.
- Select the link to the downloaded workbook in the box.
- Click the “Change Source…” button.
- Navigate to the active workbook (i.e. select your personal spreadsheet).
At this point your new template should be functional and linked to your local workbook’s data.
Thanks to @randy for these steps via @yossiea . Docs: Account Filter (Excel) - Microsoft Excel / Show & Tell - Tiller Community (tillerhq.com)
If you’d like to filter your comparison by tags you’ll need to have a Tags column setup in your Transactions sheet, and of course your transactions will need to be tagged.
Only change the green highlighted cells. By default, it will compare all transactions from last year against those from this year. You can change those start and end dates, and can filter the transactions down to a Group or Category, by Tag or by Description, or all. A ‘Total Amount’ appears at the top of each list to make it easy to compare the overall total of all the transactions shown.
Is it ok for others to copy, use, and modify your workflow?
Yes, please, and please provide feedback on any issues you encounter and/or suggestions on how to make improvements!
If you don’t use tags, you could hide columns F and P to save a little space on your screen.