Balance is not showing correct per balance history

So my scenario is that I have a manually added account which I add manual transactions to. It s a savings account that I transfer to/from my main checking account.
The issue is that I add a manual transaction and select the checkbox to update balance.
After the transaction completes, the balance history shows the correct balance, but not the balance sheet. Is this the same issue as this one? https://community.tillerhq.com/t/manual-account-balance-consistency/19884

No that sounds different. I’ve seen what you’re describing. It has happened to me when the balance history sheet is not sorted properly. Make sure to NOT have any filters left active on the balance history sheet as it seems to only sort the unfiltered data. The balance sheet seems to only show the balance closest to the top of the balance history sheet for any particular account.

2 Likes

You may be right. I agree that the top most balance in the balance history seems to be what is reported in the balance sheet, so thanks for that clue. I’m not sure the sorting was the problem though because I got impatient and duplicated the transaction in attempt to get it aligned, then deleted one of the balance records so now I cant tell for sure if it was related to the sorting or not. I then added a manual balance adjustment to get my balance right. This scenario happens fairly regularly so I will try again in a few days and report back here to confirm, now that I have some clue what could be happening.

Not 100% sure, but I think I have a similar issue happening. I haven’t entered manual transactions, but I’ve noticed that lately, with a few of my accounts (credit card and bank accounts) a single balance update sometimes generates two entries for an account, and, like mentioned above, the top balance is the one that gets reported as the current balance in various places. But, often, that top balance line item is old and not the current balance.

Here’s a screenshot from the Balance History sheet from earlier this morning. I did a single update which resulted in two line items for this account. The top one is an older balance, the bottom one is the actual current, correct balance (I did NOT do the update at 1:42 am…not sure why it has that timestamp—maybe from the bank?). I’ve been deleting the row containing the old balance and that updates the balances on other sheets correctly, but checking the Balance History sheet for duplicate entries every time balances don’t match the bank or credit card(s) is not an ideal, long-term solution. I also don’t have any filters on the page, and it appears to be sorted correctly.

1 Like

Welcome @daron.kinsey :wave:

I would recommend checking the Balance History sheet to make sure that the entries for the manual account have all the applicable data in them (e.g. the name, Account ID, etc) and are the same as other entries excepting the date and amount.

Balances that are displayed elsehwere flow from the Balance History sheet: Understanding the Balance History Sheet | Tiller Help Center

New user here - but I had the same issue as @michaelrod29:

“I did a single update which resulted in two line items for this account. The top one is an older balance, the bottom one is the actual current, correct balance (I did NOT do the update at 1:42 am…not sure why it has that timestamp—maybe from the bank?).”

IMO this could be resolved if the Balance History sheet was sorted by the “Date Added” column rather than (or in addition to) the “Date” and “Time” columns which appear to be from the bank. (Of course you can do this manually, but why would you have to?)

NB I’m using Discover Checking if that’s any help.

OK so I don’t have the solution yet, but a few clues to my original problem.
The issue is definitely that the manual entries do not sort correctly in the balance history, so the most recent balance for for the manual account is sometimes not at the top. I have noticed that in the right hand column labelled “Date Added”, the manual transactions are sometimes blank and sometimes they have a date. The rows that have a blank date added, have time data in the “Time” column that looks like this “7:42:00 AM” in the formula bar. Whereas the rows that have a date added, the time data looks like this “1/2/2024 5:24:41” in the formula bar, which is date with time, instead of just time. Note that all the time cells have the same format set to 12HR time and cell appearance is the same, like this “5:24:41 AM”. So it appears that despite having the same time format, some of these manual entries have a different data type in the time column and I think this is the cause for the sorting to be incorrect.

For context, I have a manual account setup (money feed does not work for my institution).
To add the manual transactions I am using the feature Extensions>Tiller Money Feeds>Tools>Add Manual Transaction
I just added a manual transaction and selected a transaction date, and checked the box “Update balance in Balance History”. The resulting row added to the balance history is like described above where the time column actually has data with date and time instead of just time, despite being formatted as 12hr time.

What I have not worked out yet, is why are some of the manual entries like this. What causes the two different behaviours of blank date added or date added and why the different data type? I’m still looking into that.

hi @daron.kinsey we have logged a bug for this issue. I believe it’s because if you inspect the Time data more closely in the Balance History sheet more closely for those manual entries it’s adding a date in there that’s the wrong date so if you have more than one entry for the same day it gets thrown off.

I think the manual fix right now is to just correct the date in the Time column.

For greater context, our product team prioritizes bugs, issues, and requests based on the severity of the issue and how many customers are impacted or requesting this feature. To provide insight on expectations, issues like this may not be actioned for many months or at all if it’s not a widespread issue. That timeline is based on the team’s current existing log of issues and upcoming feature releases which is subject to change.