Do's an Dont's on the Transactions Sheet

Hi, I’m pretty new to Tiller and have a few newbie questions relating to the Transaction sheet.

1. Will adding arbitrary columns to the transactions sheet mess up tiller reporting?
2. Can I fill the Transaction ID column for manual account transactions without messing up Tiller?
    3.  Why is the first column (named T) blank?

I’ve added a number of columns to mine, here’s my understanding:

• Don’t change the header names of the existing columns
  • Don’t have duplicate header names
  • Keep new columns to the right of the Amount column
  • Well written templates will not assume the original order of the Transaction sheet columns, so they should be fine. Any templates that make assumptions of column order are likely to break, so you or the creator may need to make some tweaks.

If I’ve created manual transactions directly in the Transactions sheet without using the “Manual Transaction” tool, I’ve just left Transaction ID blank, and haven’t had issues.

I think the blank column A is a legacy formatting thing, I know they didn’t include it in the Excel template.

2 Likes

Thank you! Everything is what I was hoping for. I plan to use Integromat to automatically insert and update transaction details and summaries from Stripe and PayPal into Tiller manual accounts. It looks like the process will work as well as Tiller’s bank feeds.

Interesting, good luck!

I often use the filter on different columns in the transaction sheet (date, institution, etc.). Is it an issue if I leave the sheet in a filtered view? Does the next transaction update care? Any other basic actions to avoid or undo other than the few mentioned above? (eg hiding a column). Thanks.

It’s not an issue for the data downloads (at least nothing I’ve ever seen); however, I have seen it be confusing for many people to log back in and wonder why the transactions at the top are from several months ago, and panic for a few moments wondering why Tiller “isn’t working” before realizing that the reason it looks weird is that they left a filter on. So for your sake, I’d try to clear filters when you’re done but you won’t cause problems if you don’t!

1 Like

Great input @Caroleen. That is something I always think about when working with the Transactions sheet or the Balance History sheet. Reset back to default when I am done.