HSA Receipt Tracker

What is the goal of your workflow? What problem does it solve, or how does it help you?
Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) are great for tax-advantaged saving for medical expenses. However, one issue is record keeping. Receipts must be kept to prove expenses charged to an HSA account are qualified medical expenses. Keeping paper copies of receipts can be difficult and time-consuming. My solution attempts to streamline this process.

How did you come up with the idea for your workflow?
After a recent Tiller Money Memo showcasing the ability to create apps using Glide, I was inspired to look into the possibilities. From there, I thought it would be helpful to be able to upload a photo of medical receipts into the transactions tab on a Tiller spreadsheet.

Please describe your workflow. What are the sheets? Does it use any custom scripts or formulas?
The app and spreadsheet are simple, but effective. I’m only using the Categories and Transactions tabs. The Glide app pulls in the transaction data and allows users to edit the category and to upload a receipt image to any given transaction.

Anything else you’d like people to know?
In the Glide App, select the pencil icon when you click on a transaction for the option to edit the category and upload a photo.

Is it ok for others to copy, use, and modify your workflow?
Please expand on what I’ve started with. I think the foundation will work for most applications, but there’s plenty of room for customizing it to fit your needs.

Here’s a link to the spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1soHS9HZqYdGeD9pYqOo7Y7sDOmy2B3N2SEa8iX_gtP0/edit?usp=sharing

And here’s a link to the Glide app. I turned on the option for others to copy the app.
https://hsa-receipts.glideapp.io

If you said yes above, please make a copy of your workflow and share the copy’s URL:
I believe you can get to everything from the links above, but please let me know if you have questions or need additional information.

This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I understand the frustration with keeping the HSA receipts. We use HealthEquity to handle our HSA instead of a bank. Within their website you can upload receipts there.

Glad that you liked it, @wipersnaz! I’ll have to look into HealthEquity and see how it works.

This has peaked my interest thank you for sharing!

1 Like

How do you import these templates into my own Tiller Foundation file/template?

Hi John, if you just want to add the option to capture receipts for transactions in your Foundation template then I would do the following:

1. Add a new column to your transactions tab labeled “Receipt Image”
  2. Copy my Glide app by clicking on this link (https://hsa-receipts.glideapp.io/ and selecting “Copy this App”
  3. Select your Foundations template spreadsheet as the data source when creating your new app.

That should give you the basic functionality to add receipt images to your transactions. Let me know if you need any additional help!

1 Like

This will help me track expenses and receipts for my disabled daughter. I like that app helps me save the receipt immediately-instead of misplacing it. Thank you for sharing this.

P.s. thank you for mentioning Tiller Money! I don’t get that email, but I want to! I added finding it to my to-do list!

@jennifer I’m glad it helped you out! Here’s a link to sign up for the Tiller Money Memo:

1 Like

This is really great. I’m paying all my medical out of my normal cash flow, and I’m using my HSA as a retirement account. I’ll be withdrawing in the distant future, but will need to keep track of the receipts in order to withdraw without penalty.

My question is this. Are people using this with the foundations template? Or are you using this as a stand alone, if that is even possible?

Sorry if this is a confusing question. Let me know if you need clarification.

Thank you

@GullHawk57 - my original idea when designing it was to be standalone, but it does use the foundations template. I just added a new column for receipts in the transactions tab, then created a Glide app to easily upload receipts using your mobile phone. I’m not sure if that answers your questions or not. Let me know if you need anything else. Glad it will help you in your situation!

Thank you for your response and creating this sheet. Very helpful.

Is the Glide app still available? The link now only says “Not Found”

3 Likes

@chad any chance you can repost the glide app?

Hi @signoremag ….does this help?