Manual transactions & updating balances

Hello. I am a new Tiller user and and am loving it so far. I looked around for an answer to my question but could not find it. I entered a check I wrote using Tools in the Tiller Labs add on. The check was added to my Transactions tab but did not update the balance for the account on the Balances tab. I want to see the impact of uncleared transactions on my balance or does Tiller only update that sheet for cleared transactions? What other options do I have to do this?

When you refresh your data on the Tiller Console, this allows Tiller to pull in bank transaction feeds as well as balance feeds. This data is independent of one another. Therefore, manually adding/editing transactions will not change your balances on the balances tab for accounts that are linked to your spreadsheet.

Likewise, manual balances are being updated via the Tiller Money Feeds add-on sidebar workflow rather than by data being added to the Transactions sheet. These data sources are separate, and not linked in any way. If you are also manually tracking transactions you’ll need to update the balance of a manually tracked account via the Tiller Money Feeds add-on to reflect the new balance after you’ve added the transactions to the Transactions sheet.

Out of the box tiller does not provide a cleared balance and uncleared balance.

Like @warren said, it pulls in those balances right from you bank and it’s only what has cleared.

I had the same problem and made a few workarounds.

1. Create a copy of your balance history and name it “Template Balance History”.
    Update that template so it has one row per account for a balance. I made several updates to the columns so that if I change the date in the template balance sheet the weekend month columns update respectively. And then just copy the row for the balance I’m going to update in my regular balance history sheet and paste it in.

Since I use Google sheets from my phone 99% of the time I use this to update my manual balances and other balances so I can show unclear to transactions.

1. Scheduled Transactions
    This one I could probably write a whole blog post for. But I’ll outline it here to see if there is any interest.
    A. I made a new calendar in Google calendar specifically for my scheduled transactions.
    B. Any recurring bills that I know come out on a daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, or yearly basis I put in the calendar. I even put what I think I’ll spend each week on groceries and gas. Really any schedule you can think of. I enter the amount, account, category, and other information to the description of the calendar appointment. I need only do this one time and then set the recurrence of the scheduled transaction. Google calendar takes care of the rest. If I need to remove one I can just delete it from my calendar. I can delete just the one occurrence of it or the scheduled occurrences. this makes it a lot easier to do budgeting than doing it in the spreadsheet I found.
    C. I created a Google Apps Script based off some work other people did. Again I can share all the information about how to do it if there’s interest. That script specifically looks at that calendar I made and pulls in the transactions into a scheduled transaction sheet.
    D. I made another sheet called forecast.
    This sheet queries the schedule transaction sheet and only pulls in schedule transactions for a specific account. Then I use some formulas to get the current balance of my account and apply that to the amounts of my scheduled transactions. What I end up with is a forecast that shows me what my bank balance will be to the penny for up to 12 months from now.

After this is initially set up maintenance of it is pretty simple. You just compare your forecast with the transactions that tiller pulls in. If you have a transaction that tiller pulled in that’s still in your forecast, you delete that event from Google calendar right from your phone or your computer. That triggers an update in your forecast it’s updated. It’s pretty slick.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in more details on your calendar forecast system.

Hi, it seems there have been several changes and I am not clear on how to update the balance after a manual transaction now that the “update balance” tick box is no longer there. Can you please guide me?

Have you followed the steps in this guide: Tracking balances for manual accounts | Tiller Help Center

Is there anywhere you’re getting stuck? You should be able to update balances via the Balance History sheet.

Account is not manual, but after manual transactions how do I reflect them in the balance account?

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. You can still manually update the balance for the account if it’s a connected account using the Balance History sheet, these steps should help: Understanding the Balance History Sheet | Tiller Help Center