Net Worth Only 12 Months

Is there a technical reason the Net Worth sheet only tracks 12 months of data? Is it not possible for it to go back and track the entire balance history instead? I realize there’s only 12 columns to show data, but when you set the period to quarters or year, I’d love it to continue tracking that history beyond just the last 12 months.

Wondering if the google doc can’t handle pulling the data farther than a year out, or just not the way the sheet was coded.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @jmar180 …welcome to the community.

That is a great question, and it led me to look more closely at my Net Worth sheet, too. I believe the intent of the Net Worth sheet is to aggregate and report a summary of account balances from all existing data in the Balance History sheet. So, one would expect that all data there would be considered in the Net Worth results.

For example, my data set begins in October of 2018, but I noticed after looking into your question, that while 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 data are summarized in my Net Worth sheet, my 2018 data is missing from the Quarter and Year views.

What is the earliest date (last row) of your Balance History sheet?

I am sure @randy or @heather will have helpful advice for us both.

Thanks for asking!

The Net Worth sheet is built to show 12 months at a time. You can use the “end date” to change the 12 month view you’re looking at. Because the Balance History sheet can become very large, trying to show ALL the data would slow the sheet to a halt.

1 Like

Thanks, I suspected that may have been the answer, but wanted to confirm!

Hmmm…Interesting, @heather…my sheet is showing comparisons from a portion of 2019 through this year. I wonder if I’m looking at the same sheet?

Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2022

Do you have it set up to review quarterly or yearly as opposed to monthly? In the dropdown?

I should have said, it can look at 12 periods at once.

Got it. That makes sense… I am looking at Yearly. Thanks for all.