Savings Budget Updating Current and Future Budget Categories + Reverting to Previous Version of Category Sheet

Hi @kjlawless,
A couple of responses to your questions, hope this helps:

1. The categories sheet is set up so that in the budget, each cell is equal to the cell to its left. If you select a cell (other than the first month) you should be able to see the formula. I’m guessing that this is why your changes propagated to future months. You can stop this from happening by overwriting those cells so that they’re just numbers instead of formulas. I think that should fix it. If you want an easy way to see which cells in your budget are formulas vs which you’ve overridden with numbers, this is a good solution using conditional formatting:Using a custom format to show manual budget items

2. You may be able to using google sheets version history to get an old version of your categories sheet. Look for the bit of clickable text to the right of the menu bar at the top of the page that says something like “Last edit was two minutes ago”. Click on that and you will be able to see your version history of the sheet. I wouldn’t recommend reverting the whole sheet, since that rolls back your transactions sheet also and could cause other problems. But you should be able to see your categories sheet and copy and paste the budget from an old version into your current sheet.

One more thing to note is that when you update your budget from the Savings Budget sheet, all that does is change the numbers in the Categories sheet. Personally, I prefer to just enter the values in the Categories sheet directly. That also makes it easier to see if any future months are affected.