Split Transaction not Working

Hey everyone,

My transaction splitter is not working. I use it regularly but for some reason it isn’t splitting and I get a “cause unknown” notification. I am applying the categories accurately and the numbers all add up to the total cost of the transaction. I’ve tried it about 10 times over now with no luck.

Is anyone else having this issue and if so, have you figured out why its happening?

1 Like

Having the same issue. I’ve raised a ticket. I’ve noticed some other related issues:

1. split details are going into Note column which they shouldn’t be if one has the Split Details column set-up
  2. it seems that one now has to put negative signs in front of expense items
  3. probably a design change but you can now only split from the sidebar and not the Google Sheets menu - which is problematic in that the sidebar takes up a lot of real estate and I don’t always want to have it open
2 Likes

I will also open a ticket, but I’m experiencing the same split issues.

Good to know, any updates you get - would appreciate you sharing!

I’m having the same issue. Where/how do we submit a help ticket?

I simply closed out my Foundation Template tab on my browser, and reloaded it from the Tiller console website, and now splitting transactions is working again.

Houston…there is a problem. It won’t even recognize two existing categories for the splits that it has recognized right along. What changed?

Using Google Sheets, I was able to split transactions just now. Click “Extensions.” Then click “Tiller Money Feeds.” Then click “Launch.” A panel will open on the right side of the sheet. There is a button there labeled “Split.” I clicked that, and all went well.

1 Like

Split is not working on a csv imported transaction, which I use quite often on non connected accounts. When you try to split you get a message “Transaction Id must be non-blank.”
It seems csv loaded transactions don’t create a transaction Id. What can one due as a work around or is Tiller doing something with the new updates?

You can manually enter a transaction ID into the Transaction ID column for any manually added data.

1 Like

Is there any format required?

No not really, but we recommend that you start it with “manual:” so these IDs are easily separated from the ones our system pulls in. So something like manual:12345

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. Google sheets opened in Firefox browser on macbook pro. Attempting to split my mortgage transaction into 3 splits for HO ins, RE tax, and mortgage and I’m getting the red error message with unknown error text. The message appears for a few seconds then disappears. This is an auto-generated transaction coming from my mortgage account. Tried closing the Tiller sheet and re-opening and and re-entering the split transaction and am getting the same error.

Hi @k.j.barth06 can you check that all your column headers are correctly spelt on the Transactions sheet? Otherwise please write to support with a screenshot of the error and your Transactions tab clearly showing the column headers via the chat tool in the lower right corner of the Tiller Console or by emailing support@tillerhq.com

Hi. Thank you for the reply. I had added some user templates to my template and was experimenting with them and apparently did something that caused some other things to go wrong - the transaction split was among the things that stopped working. I restored the template from a previous version and my errors went away.

1 Like

Glad you were able to get that fixed!

I tried all the following and nothing is working:

1. splitting using the launch button and it gave me the same error “Transaction Id must be non-blank.”
  2. opening the spreadsheet through the tiller console, not google docs
    I read you can add a transaction ID can work, but where can i add that? I don’t have a column named that in my transaction sheet. I’ve also noticed that my metadata column has this written ““basic csv”:{“type”:“transaction”}}”. Splitting any entries where this is filled with this text is the only time I can’t split my entries.
    Help!

Wondering if you reached any solution

Hi @ahmedtmorsi the Transaction ID can be found in the hidden column P in your Transactions sheet. We recommend that you prepend the ID with “manual:” then just add some characters for ex. manual:1234.

2 Likes

I would consider this to be a broken feature. I understand that there is a workaround, but is there a plan to fix the feature? This is an issue with both Venmo and Amazon purchases for me.