New: Split transactions using Tiller Money Feeds for Google Sheets

Originally published at: New: Split transactions using Tiller Money Feeds for Google Sheets - Tiller

As we continue transitioning well loved and widely used features out of the Tiller Community Solutions add-on and into Tiller Money Feeds we’re excited to announce the Transaction Splitter tool for Google Sheets.

We reviewed all the feature requests in the Tiller Community for the community version of the tool and incorporated many of them. Thanks for all your suggestions on how to improve this feature!

Not only can you now split a transaction’s amount across multiple categories right in the Tiller Money Feeds add-on sidebar, but you can also customize the split’s description, note, and tags.

You can even save your splits for use again later if you’re commonly splitting the same types of transactions the same way.

You’ll now see a “Tools” menu in the Tiller Money Feeds add-on sidebar for Google Sheets where you can access this feature. We hope to have it available for Microsoft Excel at some point too, but are heads down working on AutoCat for Excel and hope to have that live for those of you using Excel soon!

Learn more about how to use it on our help center here.

We’d love to know what you think! Chime in with a reply below.

2 Likes

Great job! Congratulations on another wonderfully enhanced feature.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your help with beta testing :wink:

1 Like

Heather,
Wow - great job - very complete tool functionality and very intuitive.
I just split a monthly insurance payment that covers 3 policies - once I detailed the first 2 splits - the remainder populated the final split - nice! Picking categories was very easy. I also love that the Notes column auto-populates with details of the split and that the Transaction ID is updated and notated for each split.

I will try the save function next.
Thank you again.
Regards,
Bill Gillett

2 Likes

Hi Heather,

The new transaction splitter looks nice. Unfortunately, I am only seeing the old versions -

I must be missing a step in the path to the new splitter.

Ron

Heather,
It appears that new features are coming about for Google sheets but not for Excel. Should I ditch Excel and learn Google sheets?
Len

@rgsidor you’re in Tiller Money Feeds (based on your screenshot) so it’s the new version. What are you expecting that you’re not seeing and I can point you to it.

@len5165 We are working on both! AutoCat for Excel coming soon! We started with Google Sheets and it had a few year head start on Excel so Excel has some catching up to do.

Hi Heather,

My mistake. I missed the dropdown arrow so I did not see the additional boxes.

Look forward to using the new features when the updater is fixed for the DCU accounts.

Please close out this support item.

Ron

Improvements are always appreciated. My one critique is that it seems silly to create a “Tools” sub menu that only has one tool below it (Split Transaction). This function deserves first level placement until such time that more tools are included. Most used tools should be obvious with one click activation. IMO.

2 Likes

I tried the new transaction splitter today and it worked perfectly. I used the old version a lot and would then head over to the transaction sheet to add notes/tags as needed.

It would be great to bring the Reconcile Transactions tool over from the Community Solutions and place it in the Money Feeds “Tool” area.

Thanks for the continuing efforts to make this easy to use.

2 Likes

As someone who has used split transaction almost daily for several years I do appreciate the added features & functionality! There is one thing I’m noticing that worked in the old version that as far as I can tell does not in the new. The old tool would copy formulas into all the new split rows but it appears that this one is not preserving them. All cells are values-only.

I’m hoping you can tell me if I’m using incorrectly or if this is no longer possible to preserve the formulas during a split. Thanks!

That’s a fair point, @mail2tom2.

We hope to port more workflows to TMF later this year— see @martha.rudkin’s message for a hint as to which— so hopefully the splitter won’t be lonely for too long.

P.S. Thanks for the feedback, @martha.rudkin. Glad you like it.

1 Like

That’s a good catch, @TMA. I don’t think there is a way the current scripts will copy formulas, but I will bring it up with @heather as a feature request/enhancement when she returns next week.

Would it be possible to add a quick shortcut to the Extensions->Tiller Money Feeds menu much like the community solution had? It was convenient to just click split transaction instead of going a few menus deep after opening the sidebar. (I tried to attach a photo but it didn’t like that)

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @martha.rudkin ! Per @randy’s note, we are working toward moving many of the TCS features into TMF, but the timeline is a bit undefined at this point :slight_smile:

Great feedback @justinh - this work is up next :slight_smile:

@mail2tom2 good feedback here too, we are considering backing it out to the main menu until there are other tools available.

That’s great news about these functions coming to Excel. Your email today mentioned that, “We hope to have the Transaction Splitter available for Microsoft Excel after releasing AutoCat for Excel.” Do you have an ETA on the rollout for AutoCat for Excel and then the Transaction Splitter in Excel too? Please let me know, thanks.

1 Like

AutoCat is getting pretty close, but no specific date just yet.

Splitter will come eventually, but it may not be the next up thing for Excel at this point. The email probably just intended to express that eventually we will have it for Excel too.

Thanks for calling this out, @TMA. We’d love to better understand how you use(d) formulas with the split transaction workflow.

• Do you have formulas in your Transactions-sheet transactions prior to creating splits? If yes, which columns? How do you use them?
  • How is the Tiller Money Feeds splitter interfering with the way you would like to use formulas with splits?

If anyone else in the community has opinions about how formulas should interoperate with the split transaction workflow, we’d love to hear from you. :ear:

1 Like

Good tool, I’m learning to use it. It doesn’t make sense that the transaction is a negative then the breakouts are positive numbers? Stumbled with this setting it up. Otherwise great functionality.

1 Like