Tiller announces open banking support for Fidelity

Originally published at: Tiller Announces Open Banking Support For Fidelity - Tiller

We’re excited to announce that the open banking connection for Fidelity Investments and many other Fidelity serviced sites will go live on Thursday, November 9th. This includes many employer 401k investment sites serviced by Fidelity.

If you already have Fidelity accounts connected to Tiller you can upgrade your applicable connections using the steps below. Check out the list of affected Fidelity sites here.

1. Open your Tiller Console at https://my.tillerhq.com 
  2. Click “Connection > Edit credentials” next any applicable Fidelity site under the Connected Account Summary & follow the prompts to log in directly to Fidelity and connect.

If you haven’t yet connected your Fidelity accounts, you can click the “Add accounts” button on the Tiller Console and use the Fidelity Investments option or the Fidelity Net Benefits option to connect and pull in your investment accounts. 

As with all our other open banking enabled institutions, these new Fidelity connections are more reliable, faster, and more secure than the previous connections. 

If you run into any issues, check out our troubleshooting tips or send the team a message using the Messenger in the lower right corner of the Tiller Console at https://my.tillerhq.com

This upgrade does not apply to the Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature Credit Card. Bank feeds for those credit cards will continue to be provided via the separate Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature Card site.

If you have those credit cards connected via the Fidelity Investments site, they will no longer work after completing the Fidelity Investments upgrade and you will need to re-connect those cards using the Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature Card site.

Visit the Console at https://my.tillerhq.com and click Add Accounts then search for Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature Card to re-connect those cards. If you run into duplicates, you can check out our guide here on how to clean that up.

About Open Banking

Open banking connections offer faster, more reliable, and more secure bank data feeds to Tiller’s automated personal finance spreadsheet. More about open banking and Tiller.

That’s because with open banking, you never share any account credentials with Tiller. U.S. Bank manages your accounts credentials and protects them with the same level of security used for your financial accounts.

And you remain in control of your financial data, with a transparent view of all your account connections.

5 Likes

Does the new Open Banking support Fidelity Cash Management Accounts? I didn’t see the account listed when I started down the path to update my credentials.

My cash management account was available to select on the upgraded open banking option when it asked me to select which accounts I wanted to include in the connection. Transactions and balance updated without issue as well.

Thank you. I needed to be further down the process, then I saw it.

1 Like

The update went fine, but I am now without access to Fidelity Visa. I have tried to add it via the instructions, several times with the same error. Has anyone gotten this to work yet?

Great. Thanks for the update!

Hi there –

After switching over to this new connection, all of the accounts I’m “authorized” on (but not the account holder of) no longer seem to come through. They show up on the Fidelity OAuth permissions page when I originally make the connection, but then don’t show up in Tiller.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks,

C

Also posted on Open Bank Refresh thread…

Also a Fidelity account holder with 2 login id’s - mine and my husband. There are 3 joint accounts, 3 personal accounts for him, 4 personal accounts for me. All the accounts are set where we can “see” all 10 accounts from each of our logins.

We had been using 1 login to get info for all 10 accounts. Now with Open Banking at Fidelity, we are using his login to grab the 3 joint accounts and his 3 personal accounts. I added my personal login this week to grab my 4 personal accounts. I did have to go through and clean up duplicates because my 4 personal accounts looked “new” to Tiller.

Overall, I’m happy with the Open Banking for Fidelity - no more blocked downloads a couple of times a day. My only complaint this morning (Saturday), is that the accounts did not refresh for Friday activity. It looks like I will have to wait for Monday for that.

In regards to the Fidelity Rewards Visa Card, there is also a connection for Elan Financial that has worked perfectly for me for a long time. I know that Tiller support keeps recommending the other login, but the Elan Financial one works very consistently. We have 2 connections for there as well - my Visa card and my husband’s Visa Card.

Yes, it worked for me. Sounds like you and I took similar steps - delete the credit card account from the list of accounts that will be refreshed along with Fidelity accounts, then add a new account, search for the Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature Card site, and log in to that account to set things up. I didn’t get the “Technical Error” you did. Maybe you were able to try again later and it worked?

I’ve “upgraded” my connection to our various Fidelity accounts (including setting up separate tracking for the credit card account that used to be bundled with other Fidelity accounts). The good news is that all my accounts, including the Visa account, are corrected mapped and transactions are downloading.

The bad news is that the transaction descriptions are strange and useless - instead of identifying information, all that is displayed is either “purchased into money market fund” or “redemption from money market fund”. This is not what is displayed on Fidelity’s site, and it’s not what Tiller displayed before this week’s change.

Here is just one example. Here are two transactions I see when I log in to Fidelity (hopefully pasting these images in will work):

But here is what shows up in Tiller (note the lack of any identifying information):

Before the switch, Tiller would correctly label transactions like this as (in this example) Venmo payments and cashouts. Now, all transactions appear with this bizarre unidentified “purchase into…” and “redemption from…”

I assume that whatever this problem is must be afflicting every other Fidelity investment customer whose funds are swept into a money market fund. I hope there’s an easy fix. Thanks!

Thanks Jim. Yes, that is what I did, but still has not worked. Technical support says try again in a few days…

Thanks,
Bob Ashford

Thanks for the updates. I tried elan as well and no joy. No CC connectivity since the “upgrade” to open banking

11/12/23 update. still same errors on both the fidelity rewards site and elan financial site.

@rjashford What error are you getting on the Elan Credit Card connection? I just switched to that one yesterday and transaction and balances are now coming through for the Fidelity Credit Card without issue. Granted, it is only a day so far but have not had any problems. Any other budget program utilizing Plaid, Yodlee, Finicity, etc I’ve always had to use the Elan Credit Card login. Haven’t had issues directly through Elan.

Thanks Mr. Cat, Still getting the exact same error with Elan and Fidelity Rewards as of today. I can log in to either directly. I can enter my credentials while attempting to add either account, i get past the security check, its says pulling your data, and it fails with “technical error at fidelity rewards visa signature card”. It probably doesn’t like Maryland Terrapins. I just added another bank’s cc no problem. There is an issue between the “updated connection” at Tiller/Yodlee and Fidelity CC

@rjashford Very strange! I just got a successful refresh this morning. Hopefully they can figure out what’s going on and it starts working for you!

Tiller Support said to keep trying until tomorrow and then let them know if it still does not work…

1 Like

I have been having the same issues with the feeds from the accounts for which I am authorized. Here’s how I fixed it.

1 - In the console delete the accounts that are from an alternative Fidelity login.
2 - Run the “add accounts” and log into fidelity with the alternative login.
3 - Add all the accounts that you want to associate with Tiller
4 - I would suggest now renaming the added accounts to the original names so you don’t have to change anything else in your spreadsheet.
5 - Open the Tiller spreadsheet, open the Tiller add-in, and click on the 3 vertical dots on the right of “Linked Accounts”
6 - Scroll down and turn on the added accounts.
7 - Go to the transaction page and add a column of “x” for all the current transactions. This is allow you to see all the transactions that are added on the new refresh of these accounts. Many will be duplicated which you will want to delete.
8 - Click fill to add the data
9 - Go to the transactions and delete any duplicate transactions

Any one else having an issue with the Fidelity NetBenefits account not showing? Everything else is showing fine including my Elan Credit Card showing under Fidelity. I even tried adding a new account using the Fidelity NetBenefits instead of regular Fidelity company choice, but still doesn’t show

I’m having the same problem, even after I removed my credit card account.