Welcome to the Community! Please share a little about yourself

Hi Rochelle, welcome.

If you have specific questions just post them here in the forum and we can all try to help.

I promise you will figure it out.

R

Thank you. I’m determined to master Tiller. In fact this weekend I solved one problem all by myself—how to unhide columns. It’s embarrassing to be so inept. I realize what I’m struggling with is simple stuff. In the meantime, the program is up and Running.

I work on it in spurts. Will go back on the attack later this week.

I appreciate your rapid response.

Shelley B.

Shelley it’s not inept, it’s just new and different . We have all been there

This is why this community is here . Good luck

1 Like

Hello I’m Ramona!
I am from Alberta, I am married with 3 kids (Husband Included) and our awesome dog Buddy. I have worked for the government now 30+ years as an Admin Assistant / IT Coordinator / Manuals / Procedures, etc. Pretty much anything they throw at me.

25+ years ago, my husband decided to start his own business in the trucking industry. As I handle all our finances, I ended up with a 2nd unwanted job. Over the years I have been constantly researching for a better way to track our personal finances, and of course his bookkeeping. I have spent a small fortune trying different apps that looked promising, but they all came up short. They were always to constricting in one or the other. I wasn’t able to get the results I was looking for.

Anything that I have learned about computers, I have learned on my own. So I decided to create my own database using Microsoft Access, by watching hours of videos, etc. online. I did eventually create an income and expense database for my husbands business, but of course the database is only as good as the person that wrote it. Hahaha enough said. As I was just learning, there are many things that I need to change for the expense database, but don’t seem to have the time.

I have spent the last few weeks getting ready for tax time (Ugh!), and I thought I found the perfect app once again. I was soooooo excited. I spent the time to learn how to use it, signed up, got it set up, and 2 days later when I was ready to actually work with the data for taxes, I couldn’t login. I was devasted, frustrated, upset, etc. Just when I think I found the perfect tool … Back to Excel I go.

Just before I found the not so perfect app above, I noticed Tiller too. However Tiller Google has many more cool possibilities than Excel, and I have never used Google except for a browser. Which is why I tried the other app first. Oops! Should have just learned Google and Tiller instead.

So this weekend I have been watching your awesome videos, documents, and checking out the posts from others. I am convinced that this is the place I need to be. I love the auto bank connection, splitting transactions, rules, customizable categories, notes, tags, etc. But I especially love the community involvement, ideas, interest, creativity, etc.

• Where are you feeling stuck financially?

• Finding the right tool. I think I found it this time! :slight_smile:
  • Are you still using other tools alongside Tiller? If so, which?

• I WAS using Mint for the transactions piece to CSV and then to Excel.
  • What do you hope to gain from using Tiller Money?

• With Tiller taking care of our personal and business finances
    • Less stress
    • More time for me to do whatever I want to do!
1 Like

Thanks for sharing your story!

I love your spirit of adventure. What a journey you’ve been on. It sounds like you like to do things your way and will work hard to try to learn and get things right. I think you’ll find Tiller is a nice balance of automation and friendliness coupled with power and endless potential for customization. It sounds like a great fit for you.

Let us know if you have any questions. I’m glad to hear the community posts and videos have been helpful. If you survived onboarding with MSFT Access, Google Sheets will be a breeze. :wind_face:

Welcome, @Ramona!
Randy

1 Like

LOL - nice one :slight_smile:

welcome!

2 Likes

Hello,
My name is Bonnie and I am from British Columbia, Canada. I am a retired CPA, CGA, but still consult in my industry which is in the BC Education System as a Secretary Treasurer/CFO. I am also a mother of two super great men and a grandmother of one. (the light of my life)
I am currently assisting my 92 year old father to transition from Quicken to Tiller, he is finding that Quicken is just more than he needs. So ultimately I am very interested in the automated and split category function.
My spreadsheet skill level is above average, however, my father is at a beginner level…so we will be sharing and learning together.
I am a noob with google sheets though, so that will be an adaptation.

At this time I am just rumbling around here trying to find a few answers.

Thanks B-}

2 Likes

Welcome @bonnieroutley! What an awesome story. We seen a number of folks move from Quicken to Tiller. And it is awesome you are helping your father move to Tiller. We hope your father finds Tiller much easier to use.

Thanks for posting!

Hello & Welcome @bonnieroutley

I am a newbie too, so I just wanted to let you know my thoughts so far.
Thank God I found Tiller. Enough Said. :grinning:

I have always used Excel as it is what I have to use at work. So I am a TOTAL newbie to Google Sheets too. In fact until I found Tiller, I had never even opened a Google Sheet.

I have been setting up and organizing my data using Tiller for just about a month now. In google sheets. Through my Tiller research I had confirmed for myself, that between Excel and Google, Google was definitely the way to go. Even without any knowledge of how to use Google Sheets. Between Tiller and the Awesome Community, you can do way more using Google Sheets.

So in MHO if your dad has to learn something anyway, start with Google Sheets.
I also want to say - WAY TO GO! To your :star: Dad :star: We are never too old to learn. I love it!

P.S. I have yet to do any research with Google Sheets.

1 Like

Welcome @Ramona! So glad you found us and that you’re having success with Google Sheets. As a longtime Excel user who also discovered Google Sheets when I started with Tiller, I have also fallen in love with the platform.

It’s also really nice to hear that you’ve been able to fill in the gaps with our community. (There are so many generous fellow travelers here! :rocket:)

Let me know if you need anything.

1 Like

Hello Community
I am a retired (Harborview MC) Registered Nurse, about to be an 80 year old, living with longtime hubby in a condo on Queen Anne in Seattle during warm weather and living in the sunshine in Cathedral City, California, during the winter. We travel to see the world when possible.
Personally, I enjoy duplicate bridge, playing the piano, swimming, strength training, reading, cooking, and enjoying our gradson, age 4. I have a parttime job on Mondays and Fridays at the Cruise Terminal -where I enjoy meeting folks from around the world as they embark on their cruises to Alaska.
My hopes for Tiller are to knowledgibly and competently track my spending and saving.
Janet

6 Likes

Thanks for introducing yourself, @harvjf1. I was on Queen Anne for dinner last night overlooking Fremont and the cut. Let us know how we can help you on your financial journey!

I am rather stuck so I will read the materials from your company and try again. I did discover the private viewing option on my Google acct/ MacBook which is such a good idea for banking work.

I am a rather busy lady but hope to have some time on Wednesday evening and then again on Saturday to study the materials.

I will keep you apprised of my progress.

Thank you for your help,

Janet Harvey

There’s definitely a lot of content to dive into when getting started with Tiller, but hopefully once you get all set up it’ll be smooth sailing from there.

Hi All,
I’m Ron and I live,with my wife of 57 years, Janet, in Halifax, Nova Scotia on the east coast of Canada. One doesn’t require a Tiller Sheet to realize we’re closer to 80 than 70! She is a retired nurse and I’m at the tail end of a business career that consisted of some 26 years of Information Technology followed by 30 years of real estate brokerage from which I’m gradually winding down.

My first brush with spreadsheets of the kind we use today was with a now-considered-antique product called Lotus 1-2-3. Since migrating to the Apple cult about 10 years ago, I’ve become fairly comfortable with and still use Numbers, after using Excel for many years prior. We are successful dividend investors and I’m interested in exploring what the Tiller Community might have by way of dividend tracking tools.

After years with Quicken, followed by about a decade with Banktivity, I realized I had created a monster that is far too complicated and troublesome. An ever worsening experience with downloading from banks was the proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back! Less than a week into the Tiller trial, my banks are connected and working, my categories are established and I like what I’m seeing. We are blessed to be debt free, but I’m still interested in following the numbers

Heather, if you’re monitoring newbies, the dropdown for my categories initially refused to perform but one visit to the Tiller Support Department prompted me to reset the ranges and now all is well! THANKS! Eager now to tick the remaining little checkboxes in the setup process and get on to learning what else Tiller can do!

Best regards to all,
Ron :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Welcome :wave: and thanks for sharing @ronstuart.halifax ! Amazing to hear you started in Lotus 1-2-3. Glad to hear our support was helpful in getting you back up and running with your category dropdown :slight_smile:

Hi everyone!

I’m 6 weeks in to my Tiller experience and loving the spreadsheet format and the wealth of community-built resources.

My money-tracking and budgeting experience began in my early 20’s with an envelope-budget-based spreadsheet (on paper!) Once personal computers and then mobile devices became available, I embraced Mint, Pocket Money (on Apple Newton, Palm Pilot and eventually iPhones) and Microsoft Money. In 2018 I discovered You Need a Budget (YNAB) which was a modern version of envelope budgeting with automatic transaction downloads from my banks and good mobile and web apps. It worked best with checking and savings accounts and credit cards paid in full each month.

Earlier this year my wife and I opened a couple of zero-interest credit cards to manage the costs of a home remodel project. We discovered that YNAB’s workflows for handling credit cards not being paid in full each month were cumbersome and somewhat opaque. To get a clearer picture of how much we’d need to pay these cards down each month, I started looking for debt pay-down spreadsheet templates online and discovered Tiller!

I started a Tiller free trial in late October and by now have hooked up the Tiller Foundation templates and added the Savings Budget, Debt Planner, Account Register/Reconciliation community-built templates. In combination, these have pretty much replicated the YNAB functions and added a clear path to paying off the extra credit cards. I love the focus on developers’ providing understanding of the calculations behind the tables (I would rate my Google Sheets formula expertise as “read not write”)
My wife and I are both retired and living in a coastal 55+ community just south of San Francisco. We love walking/hiking along the bluffs above the beaches and in the nearby Redwood forests. We have a new adorable(!) mini Labradoodle who has added 3 categories to Tiller (Pet Insurance, Pet Vet and Pet Stuff)

I’m looking forward to more involvement with this community!

Phil P

2 Likes

thanks for chiming in here @pepbody07 ! Love to hear these stories. It’s awesome you were able to replicate your YNAB workflows with a combination of Tiller’s supported features and community built features! :slight_smile: