Balance History sheet not updating

Thanks Blake. Let Hope they will fix mine.

@adekunledauda @heather

Don’t worry, they will but remember to reply if they have any questions or requests from you and continue to follow up with them to make sure things keep moving. Please let us know how it goes.

Blake

I did get the balance history to update. I first went into my balance history sheet and deleted everything from 2017 to June 2019. I have some accounts that appear to update multiple times/day. This created a HUGE worksheet - >38k lines. I have other issues now, but this is updating.

@john.warren3

Glad to hear about the good news but sorry to hear about the bad news.

This may be what you are looking for.

Please let me know if I can help. I have been where you are at now.

Good luck.

Blake

https://community.tillerhq.com/t/tiller-labs-utilities-add-on-comprehensive-guide/80

Now isn’t this interesting - thank you for pointing me to the utility. It looks like it may be useful. However, it requires the column “Index” to work, and my sheets do not have that column. How’d that happen?!?

@john.warren3

Please see below for what Randy says. You should be in Tiller Labs, not Tiller. You do not have an index column and that is good. You should be able to use Tiller Labs Utility.

Thanks,

Blake

7d

Hey, @pindy. I just migrated the Trim Balance History scripts from Tiller Utilities to the Tiller Labs add-on . I haven’t tested it extensively, but it seems to work with my test cases.

You can find the workflow under the Tools / Utilities sidebar menu.

One note… older Tiller sheets used an Index column to uniquely identify accounts. Newer Tiller sheets (since ~July 2019) use the Account ID column instead. The new version in Tiller Labs only works with Account ID and will not run on sheets that only have the Index column. Hope you fall into the former category.

Let me know if it works for you.
Randy

Hey @john.warren3,

As @blake noted, I just migrated the Balance History Trimmer into Tiller Labs. The version in the separate Tiller Utilities add-on will soon be deprecated and relies on the obsolete Index column to uniquely identify columns. We now use Account ID as the unique index.

Give the version in Tiller Labs a try and let me know if it works for you.

Thanks for your patience.
Randy

P.S. Thanks as always for helping out John, @blake.

1 Like

@adekunledauda

Any resolution yet?

Just FYI, I too, have been having problems with Balance history updating but appearing to get transaction updates. Last Balance history update was 5 days ago. I will try some of the things mentioned here before contacting support.

1 Like

Not yet. It seems things are getting worse. I now get duplicates transaction on every update. I have used the new tool, Trim Balance History to reduce the balance history but it went on for 24 hrs on my PC but trim nothing. I have given up on the account balances as I have not had a balance update in 25 days. With duplicates transactions, I can’t trust the report anymore. I am still talking to the support to fix the issue.

@adekunledauda

Good, please keep talking with support. Anything you can do @heather to help if you are not already involved.

It sounds like this user may be near the end of his rope.

Thanks,

Blake

I have the same problem - I have to keep closing and restarting the Money Feeds add on to get it to fully populate my balances. where each run takes many hours before I kill and restart. Going to each of the accounts on my phone and entering the balances manually takes 15min

I tried the Trimmer. It immediately told me how many rows would get trimmed but after 1hr of run time did no trimming

My workaround now is that I have two Tiller sheets. One is the “actual” one with the analyses and is the feed for the app i built. The other one has no analyses - instead it’s only purpose is to allow MoneyFeeds to run. I delete all the balance history rows on this 2nd sheet, restart the Tiller Money Feeds addon and allow it to populate (takes ~2min). Then copy the rows from the 2nd sheet onto the “actual” sheet by adding rows to Balance History and then copy pasting. Since the Account ID field is unique (at least it appears to be), it works

@arvind.govindarajan

That is crazy. I am glad you found a workaround but you should not have to do that. I recommend you reach out to support to get your situation fixed. You will contact them?

Blake

Already reached out, but this method was faster than waiting to hear back :slight_smile:

@arvind.govindarajan

So, the workaround is an interim approach until they actually get around to fixing it, right?

Blake

I hope so… Depends on how long the fix takes

@arvind.govindarajan

Please keep following up with them until it gets fixed, OK?

Blake

The issue is with large data sets and sheets where there are many (more than probably 15-20 … we don’t have an exact number yet) accounts connected.

The transactions will update but when it gets to balances the operation times out and doesn’t complete. This is somewhat of a limitation of Google Apps Script but we can address it. It may or may not be compounded by the Feeds addon having to sort the sheet after the balance update happens. It could be adding the latest balance but timing out before the sort finishes, perhaps why trimming the rows in Balance History helps? Maybe there are some newer ones stuck at the bottom of the sheet? I’m not convinced that the trim is actually useful for this specific issue.

I am working directly with @adekunledauda on his issues via support. I float back and forth between support and community.

We’ve had a lot going on this week with a surge in growth overloading the systems and appreciate everyone’s patience as we continue to improve scalability and address bugs.

1 Like

Hi @randy - I’d love to try out the Trim Balance History utility. But I’m running an older budget template (built in 2018…AGES ago!) which has the Index column. Is there a workflow to rename/replace Index with Account ID? Could I even just rename the column to Account ID? I wanted to check before I did that and broke a bunch of stuff.

Thanks. Keep up the awesome work!
Adam

Good question, @amiller72. The original Balance Trimmer was built around older Index-based sheets in the Tiller Utilities add-on. I migrated and updated those workflows about 4 months ago and added them to Tiller Labs. They were running in parallel for a bit then we deprecated Tiller Utilities last months— since it was so out of date— and removed it from the store.

A few options:

1. Consider creating a new spreadsheet built around the new tools and workflows. To do this, create a new Foundation Template in the console. Link the relevant accounts using the Tiller Money Feeds add-on. Then, run the Tiller Labs Migration Helper to pull categorization and customization from your data set. This is the most robust way to get your tooling all setup on the newest tools. The Migration Helper isn’t perfect but it’s pretty good. If you like the new version, shift over to it. If you’re not happy with the data migration, just unlink it and throw it in the trash. Shouldn’t take more than 15 minutes to give it a try.
  2. I think your idea about using Index as Account ID may work though having that column populated with Index values could complicate a future run of the Migration Helper (best to delete it before then if the values aren’t real). Consider making a copy of your spreadsheet. Insert a new column in Balance History, duplicate/copy the Index column into it. Rename the column Account ID. See if you can run the trimmer. If you’re happy with the data set, perform the steps in your live sheet.

Good luck. Let me know what you do and how it works out.
Randy