Balance History sheet not updating

I’ve been using the Tiller Feed, which runs 8+ hours, and still no update to Balance History sheet. I created a new budget in a new file, same result. Any suggestions?
Transactions are coming in, though, regularly, albeit a day late (I see transactions from the 18th on the 20th, not the 19th). However, the daily summary always has the right transactions and balances on it.

1 Like

Hi @john.warren3,

For large data sets the feed can take a while. 8+ hours is unusual. I’d recommend reaching out directly to support@tillerhq.com.

The day late is likely just normal with the way the feeds/updates/refreshes work with the add-on and may be slightly different than what you’re used to.

Heather

Hi John.
The issue was never resolved. In fact, I never received a reply until your post. My Accounts balances haven’t update properly for over a month. I have given up on Balance history and account balances.

1 Like

@adekunledauda

I recommend contacting support directly.

I recently started having similar issues. Getting transactions but not balances. Only affecting certain accounts. This likely has something to do with my specific sheet. I contacted support and they are working on it now. It might be something with your specific sheet too. If this issue was affecting everybody, it would shut Tiller down.

Will you reach out to support, for me?

Thanks,

Blake

1 Like

Thanks, Blake. I have contacted support and waiting to hear from them. My observation was Tiller is having issues with a large sheet. If you have a foundation template with two or four linked accounts, you won’t have a problem with balance history and account balance update daily. But, If you have several accounts linked and large transactions download from several accounts, the tiller will have difficulty updating the balance history and account balance in real-time. As I am writing, the last balance history and account update I had was 22 days ago. The issue needs to be look into by Tiller engineers.

@adekunledauda @heather

Thanks for hanging in there and contacting support.

I suspect you might have an issue with your specific sheet. I assume support did something to my sheet as my issues have now been fixed. Tiller is able to handle a large sheet as I think I fall into that category with 17 current linked accounts, 340 categories, 7,000 rows in my Transactions tab, and 4,000 rows (was 25,000 rows before my recent clean up) in my Balance History tab. Refer to the top of your Insights tab for some interesting data about your sheet. Don’t under estimate Tiller, it is amazing and has lots of housepower.

Blake

1 Like

Thanks Blake. Let Hope they will fix mine.

@adekunledauda @heather

Don’t worry, they will but remember to reply if they have any questions or requests from you and continue to follow up with them to make sure things keep moving. Please let us know how it goes.

Blake

I did get the balance history to update. I first went into my balance history sheet and deleted everything from 2017 to June 2019. I have some accounts that appear to update multiple times/day. This created a HUGE worksheet - >38k lines. I have other issues now, but this is updating.

@john.warren3

Glad to hear about the good news but sorry to hear about the bad news.

This may be what you are looking for.

Please let me know if I can help. I have been where you are at now.

Good luck.

Blake

https://community.tillerhq.com/t/tiller-labs-utilities-add-on-comprehensive-guide/80

Now isn’t this interesting - thank you for pointing me to the utility. It looks like it may be useful. However, it requires the column “Index” to work, and my sheets do not have that column. How’d that happen?!?

@john.warren3

Please see below for what Randy says. You should be in Tiller Labs, not Tiller. You do not have an index column and that is good. You should be able to use Tiller Labs Utility.

Thanks,

Blake

7d

Hey, @pindy. I just migrated the Trim Balance History scripts from Tiller Utilities to the Tiller Labs add-on . I haven’t tested it extensively, but it seems to work with my test cases.

You can find the workflow under the Tools / Utilities sidebar menu.

One note… older Tiller sheets used an Index column to uniquely identify accounts. Newer Tiller sheets (since ~July 2019) use the Account ID column instead. The new version in Tiller Labs only works with Account ID and will not run on sheets that only have the Index column. Hope you fall into the former category.

Let me know if it works for you.
Randy

Hey @john.warren3,

As @blake noted, I just migrated the Balance History Trimmer into Tiller Labs. The version in the separate Tiller Utilities add-on will soon be deprecated and relies on the obsolete Index column to uniquely identify columns. We now use Account ID as the unique index.

Give the version in Tiller Labs a try and let me know if it works for you.

Thanks for your patience.
Randy

P.S. Thanks as always for helping out John, @blake.

1 Like

@adekunledauda

Any resolution yet?

Just FYI, I too, have been having problems with Balance history updating but appearing to get transaction updates. Last Balance history update was 5 days ago. I will try some of the things mentioned here before contacting support.

1 Like

Not yet. It seems things are getting worse. I now get duplicates transaction on every update. I have used the new tool, Trim Balance History to reduce the balance history but it went on for 24 hrs on my PC but trim nothing. I have given up on the account balances as I have not had a balance update in 25 days. With duplicates transactions, I can’t trust the report anymore. I am still talking to the support to fix the issue.

@adekunledauda

Good, please keep talking with support. Anything you can do @heather to help if you are not already involved.

It sounds like this user may be near the end of his rope.

Thanks,

Blake

I have the same problem - I have to keep closing and restarting the Money Feeds add on to get it to fully populate my balances. where each run takes many hours before I kill and restart. Going to each of the accounts on my phone and entering the balances manually takes 15min

I tried the Trimmer. It immediately told me how many rows would get trimmed but after 1hr of run time did no trimming

My workaround now is that I have two Tiller sheets. One is the “actual” one with the analyses and is the feed for the app i built. The other one has no analyses - instead it’s only purpose is to allow MoneyFeeds to run. I delete all the balance history rows on this 2nd sheet, restart the Tiller Money Feeds addon and allow it to populate (takes ~2min). Then copy the rows from the 2nd sheet onto the “actual” sheet by adding rows to Balance History and then copy pasting. Since the Account ID field is unique (at least it appears to be), it works

@arvind.govindarajan

That is crazy. I am glad you found a workaround but you should not have to do that. I recommend you reach out to support to get your situation fixed. You will contact them?

Blake

Already reached out, but this method was faster than waiting to hear back :slight_smile: