Do your accounts stay connected?

Jeff, I am with you. I am currently in a trial period with Tiller. I like a lot of the capabilities, and the whole Tiller Community concept and templates (although this can also be a bit overwhelming and cumbersome for a newbie). At this point, though, it is debatable to me whether the Tilller “juice is worth the squeeze”, for the main point you bring up.

Of my 5 main online accounts, 3 are not currently usable. Specifically:

• US-Bank Mastercard - Errors out / will not connect
  • Venmo - Errors out / will not connect
  • Amazon - No capability to link directly. Must use CSV import - inconvenient.

I use US-Bank Mastercard for about 90% of my CC transactions. However, this is currently listed as a site with an “outage” – one of hundreds – according to the Tiller support article below. And many of these sites show as down for weeks or months. However, ironically, I am able to connect and sync US-Bank data on Mint.com and PersonalCapital.com with no issue. Mint.com has been working reliably for over 2 years. Perhaps this is a result of the third-party account linking service (Yodle?) used by Tiller vs. Intuit and others?

[Known Data Feed Issues & Workarounds - Tiller Community]
https://community.tillerhq.com/t/known-data-feed-issues-workarounds/3169

With that said, I know any online account which requires multi-factor authentication (MFA) or verification questions is periodically going to be a problem. It’s the “security over convenience” world we live in.

i.e. With Betterment.com, my connection is frequently broken, and forces me to re-authenticate. However, that is an investing platform, so I don’t mind if it’s unavailable every now and then. But when it comes to bank and CC transactions, I need to check and reconcile these daily or at least weekly, so having a reliable connection and data-sync from all my online accounts is absolutely critical. In fact, without this, there is no value in Tiller (at least for me.)

That’s just my experience. I’m sure this varies based on which bank and CC accounts you use, so I’m curious what others have to say.

1 Like