Docs: Live Profit & Loss Report (Excel)

Overview

Personal and business users often want to review their spend across months and categories. While the Tiller Community Solutions Add-on includes a rigid, script-based implementation, the Live Profit & Loss report mirrors the Google Sheets template with the same name.

Compared with one-time script-rendered reports, this live report is easy to customize to one’s needs.

How to Install the Live Profit & Loss Report

1. Download the Live Profit & Loss Report workbook .
  2. Follow these instructions to copy the downloaded template into your Excel workbook and to connect the formula references to your local workbook data.

How to use the Live Profit & Loss Report

It’s pretty self-explanatory. Just enter a start date— typically something like 1/1/23— in the one green cell in the report header and the report will instantly generate income and expense rollups over a 12 month span.

:mega: Shoutout

Many thanks to @alan.heatherley for his work porting the original Google Sheets version to Excel.

1 Like

Transfers and hidden categories are shown in the report. This occurred when column D ( Hide From Reports) in Tiller Foundation was shifted to a new column, say E, F etc.

Good catch, @adekunledauda. I can see the problem in the formula. Let me look into a solution.

Thanks to the quick work of @alan.heatherley, we have a fix posted, @adekunledauda. Try downloading the updated file (version 1.01). Let us know if it works for you.

Fixed. Thanks to @alan.heatherley for the quick response.

1 Like

That’s great to hear, @adekunledauda. Thanks for flagging the issue.

I have downloaded the Live Profit & Loss Report in Excel. I followed the instructions and when I get to change source, I get an excel error.

Any ideas? I get the same error when downloading the monthly analysis for excel

Usually, when I’ve seen that, there is a formula in the template that you’re trying to install that is referencing an “Excel Table” column that is not present in the destination workbook. For example in Y:AN you can see formulas with this “Categories[Group]” kind of reference.

Can you confirm that all of the referenced sheets, tables and columns are present in your destination workbook?

How do I check for the referenced tables, sheets etc? I am pretty good with excel, this one has me perplexed. Thanks

Not having any luck trying to add any of the Excel workbooks to the Tiller Foundation Sheets. Tried the Tags and now this one. I think I’m missing something. I added additional columns to my transactions sheet and got that in order before I tried to add any of these additional worksheets. Could that be the reason? Doesn’t seem like it’s mapping correctly.

Start by confirming that you have the Excel Tables (like the screenshot I showed). If you go to the Transactions, Categories and Balance History sheets, when you click in the main body, you should see a Table option in the upper right ribbon next to Tell Me. If you click on that, you should see the Table Name under Home.

To be honest, I haven’t found a great way to debug this. The error message is super vague and honestly almost seems to point away from what I believe the problem really is.

I’d start by downloading a fresh Foundation Template and just trying the install in a workbook that is a known quantity. If that works, we can at least deduce that the issue is related to a change in your personal spreadsheet.

From there, I’d do a quick scan of the columns in the worksheets with Excel Tables and see if any of them are missing in your personal workbook. Finally, if that didn’t turn up anything, I’d open the hidden area of the template you’re trying to install and skim the formulas for Excel Table references that may not exist in your spreadsheet.

We are working on some improvements to installing Tiller “product” templates in Excel workbooks. That work isn’t too far out. It may be a little while before that same tooling is extended to install “non-product” templates… but better tools are coming and I think we will be able to make this process more seamless and smart with dependencies once the foundation is laid.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response Randy.

I confirmed that I have excel Tables for the transactions sheet and categories sheet. Not sure what balance history is but if that’s the Balances tab, I do not see a table option on that one. The sheets in the foundation workbook have all been working fine even after adding columns for Group, Note, Tags and Category Hint on the transaction sheet. Autocrat has been working well also.

I have not tried downloading a fresh foundation template. I’ve looked at the templates as they are installed in my current foundations template and the hidden formulas but my eyes glaze over as I’m pretty good with excel and not exactly sure what I’m looking at. Then I start thinking life shouldn’t be this hard, lol.

My wife thinks I’m a lunatic for the amount of time I’ve spent converting from mint and trying to get this all set up. I go down rabbit holes and like the challenge of figuring out the spreadsheets. But at this point I’d like to see my kids again and wondering if I should just cave and try Sheets and see what that entails despite all the time I’ve put in to excel at this point. If it’s simple and I can at least copy what I’ve done so far in Excel to Sheets, might be worth it just to avoid these issues at every turn. Although sheets has just always annoyed me a little bit.

Best

I was able to get the template into my foundation template, and was able to change the source. But now there is no data in the Live profit and loss report? Where did I go wrong?
MoMentum, I have been an excel user for many years, I am now running parallel with sheets. I am not as familiar with sheets, but I am finding it more straight forward due to the direct integration with the spreadsheets.

1 Like

When you opened up the hidden area to the right, were either of you able to see broken or empty formulas? I know it can be hard to parse other builders’ intent in formulas, but this is best way to get to the bottom of data issues. Broken formulas are easy to identify. With empty cells you’ll need to understand how they reference the source data to determine if they should be filling. I usually delete IFERROR() functions so that errors surface quicker.