Docs: Net Worth Tracker

What is the Net Worth Tracker?

The Net Worth Tracker allows you to visualize your total net worth as well as trends over a customizable time period.

Tiller Money Feeds allows you to automatically import your daily account balances for easy tracking.

How to install the Net Worth Tracker template

1. Open your Tiller-powered Google Sheet
  2. Install or launch the Tiller Community Solutions add-on
  3. Open the add-on and choose "Net Worth” from the tags dropdown on the Explore tab
  4. Click “Net Worth Tracker”
  5. Chose “Add to spreadsheet”

Customizing the Net Worth Tracker

You can further customize your Net Worth Tracker by applying groups to your Accounts.

1. Open the Accounts sheet
  2. Use the dropdown list in Column A to choose an account you’d like to assign to a group.
  3. Enter a Group name in column C for each account you selected.

How to manually track accounts

You can add manual accounts using the Tiller Money Feeds add-on for Google Sheets. Read more on our help center here.

Troubleshooting

If you have a question or need help first search the community to see if someone has already asked and if not click here to quickly post a question about this template in the Get Help > Spreadsheet templates category.

Be sure to customize the title of your post with keywords about the issue or question so others can easily find the Q&A in search.

Accounts not showing in appropriate groups

If you’re noticing that your customized Account groups aren’t showing up on the Net Worth sheet the way you expect and some of the Account names are using the same formatting that the group header should use (e.g. light gray background and bold text instead of black text on white background) it could be due to incomplete balance history entries for manual accounts. Review your balance history sheet for manual account entries (Account ID starts with manual:[unique alphanumeric ID] - you may need to unhide the Account ID column). If any of the manual entries are missing the Account name data in the Account column this will break the Net Worth sheet. Fill in the names as appropriate. This happens sometimes in the Tiller Money Feeds add-on when the UI sidebar does not completely load before saving a new balance. Be sure to let the sidebar UI fully load all account details before saving.

1 Like

The groups from Accounts V2 aren’t represented in the new Labs net worth sheet as mentioned in this article. I have also have the new Labs Balances and it is sub totally by the groups but the net worth sheet isn’t. To be sure I have the Account ID populated for every row in Balance History (adopted sheet) as the help article suggested. I also have the new green top bar on both net worth and balances, just to confirm with you I have the correct labs installed. I’m super interested in the net worth being subtotaled by groups and was excited to convert everything to V2. Am I missing something?

PS - love the new net worth that combines it with the trends table!! Nice at a glance.

Do you mean that the Trends table below the chart on the Net Worth sheet (under Net Worth Trends Analysis Green bar) doesn’t give you a breakdown by group, but only shows Asset and Liability and then each account under that?

Hello Heather, The trends table below the Net Worth graph. That is correct, they are only showing Asset and Liability without groups. In the above article " Customizing the Net Worth Tracker" it says you can customize by applying groups. When I change the groups, they aren’t represented in the Net Worth tab. Changes to the Class Override do represent. What does this section mean, maybe I’m not understanding it?

I’d expect the Net Worth Tracker to subtotal the accounts based on group within the Class, similar to how the Balances subtotals.

Note, the sub total groups aren’t represented in the old net worth sheet (graph) or trends sheets (table) either. It’s something I’d love.

You are correct that Groups are not implemented in the Net Worth template at this time. I will update the solution documentation at top.

Apologies for the confusion and inconvenience, @Richard.
Would you be willing to add this as a feature request?

Randy

2 Likes

There is now an update to the Net Worth sheet that includes grouping Accounts by Group.

Get it using the Tiller Labs Add-on.

Read more about it here:

2 Likes

@Richard - Per @jono’s post below, we’ve pushed this update to the Tiller Labs add-on. If you “update” your Net Worth sheet using the Tiller Labs you’ll get the new grouping totals.

1 Like

Super thank you heather, I installed the update, absolutely love it.

1 Like

Does this sheet have to be added to an existing sheet (for example, the Foundation Template or the Monthly Budget sheet) or can it be added to a new sheet of its own?

@BrittneyP,

Sorry for the delayed reply here. You can add it to the Foundation Template or you can start in a blank Google Sheet and install the Tiller Money Feeds and install it on top of that.

Heather

Purely opinion here, but I think it would make more sense to have Liabilities show as negative numbers instead of positive. Having them positive makes it a bit disorienting to read the chart at a glance. Knowing that Net Worth is essentially Assets minus Liabilities, you might expect that the Liabilities-over-time line would be below the zero point, Assets above, and the Net Worth line would be in the middle. Having them all above the zero line seems odd.

Also, and maybe this is more of a Feature Request than a Comprehensive Guide comment, but it would be nice to see mini trendlines for each account in the table below the chart so that you could quickly see what’s trending up or down, and maybe add some conditional formatting style colors to the account totals to see how each value compares to the value to the left of it (green for an Asset increase, red for a decrease, opposite for Liabilities, etc.) Right now I’m just using sparklines to the right of the table to accomplish the trendlines, but stuff like that has to be reconfigured each time you guys update the sheet. Just a thought!

Great feedback, @chrisgp123.

Personally, I feel it is harder to compare assets and liabilities when they are on different halves of the chart, but I see your point. Perhaps in a future version we can add a “switch” that lets the user choose liability polarity.

As for the sparklines, I’m really happy to hear you’ve just gone and added the features you need. That is what makes spreadsheets so powerful and wonderful. I just added a changelog to Tiller Labs so when a template needs updating you can see if it is worth losing your mods. The Net Worth is pretty stable right now so I hope you won’t see frequent updates on that one.

Best,
Randy

2 Likes

Hi @briggs.jenna,

The best way to manually track accounts is using the manual balances feature in the Tiller Money Feeds add-on.

My guess is that the manual account entries are missing an Account ID?

Heather

I have added balance history for one of my accounts to the balance history sheet so now I am seeing more data in the net worth template, but it seems to only be pulling the first value I added for every month. Is there something else I am missing when adding historical data to this sheet? Account id is correct for every entry, date is first day of each month.

Nevermind, had to sort them newest to oldest, showing correctly now.

1 Like

We’ve closed this topic for replies. If you have a question or need help first search the community to see if someone has already asked and if not click here to quickly post a question about this template in the Get Help > Spreadsheet templates category.

Be sure to customize the title of your post with keywords about the issue or question so others can easily find the Q&A in search.