Downloading Bank Transactions

I have two factor authentication on my bank login so I have had to manually download the transactions and import them into the Tiller Spreadsheet. Is there a work around to automatically download?

1 Like

What is the name of the bank?

This two factor authentication sort of makes getting automated imports painful for those accounts. For TFA accounts, Tiller is only saving a minor additional step when compared to downloading manually. I wish there was a way to make two factor authentication a one shot thing for read-only access of account information by whatever program is retrieving the information (if that makes sense?).

Thanks for the feedback!

Agree wholeheartedly - handling 2FA is super important. Without better handling it’s just not worth paying for something which isn’t really a better UX.

Thanks for the feedback here @maktan and @bradley.j.webb. We agree the 2FA experience right now isn’t optimal, and we’re working on it! There are some aspects that we can make better, and there are others that are out of our control because of the nature of 2FA.

This is possible, and is something the UK has recently regulated on banks there, called Open Banking. Maybe one day the U.S. will follow suit. I agree this is a better approach, but it will take a while for the US banks and aggregation technology to catch up.

If you prefer spreadsheets to engage with your money and have many accounts, Tiller will still save you a ton of time, even with the re-auth required on the Console.

I could be imagining this, but are there two dialogue pathways for the Tiller Money Feeds add-on? Here is my experience:

When I opened the Foundation template, I clicked, Add-Ons | Tiller Money Feeds | Launch | Update Sheets. Transactions populate for my non-bank accounts by not for Capital One. ( I verified that the connections there were sound.)

I was having trouble downloading two transactions from Capital One, so I tested the availability of the transactions in question (not pending) by creating a new sheet connected to this account. The transactions in question populated in the new sheet. (Is that common?)

When I went back to my Foundations Template to update the sheet, I clicked Add-Ons and then Tiller Money Feeds, but the dialogue was now different, and the next option was Open Side Bar. I opened the side bar and clicked, Update Sheets, and the transactions downloaded as expected.

Is there a process or step I am skipping somehow that is causing this behavior?

@Brad.warren

I have experienced this dual pathway too but am not smart enough to offer any explanations. The Tiller folks can surely provide an answer though.

Thanks,

Blake

Hi @Brad.warren,

The launch/open sidebar is just the difference between how recently you’ve launched via the add-ons menu. No issues there and is expected behavior with the authentication token used to verify you’re signed in to Tiller via the add-on. Just a timing thing of when you’re accessing Tiller Money Feeds via the add-ons menu.

As for the CapOne transactions that appeared the second time you clicked update sheets in your original spreadsheet my guess is that it has something to do with the refreshes happening on the Tiller Console. Everything might look “green” there but things are happening in the background and we likely were able to go out and pull that data from our data provider when you visited the Console and created the test sheet.

The best workflow is to

1. visit the Tiller Console to allow accounts to refresh under Account Summary (even if they do not require your intervention to re-authenticate them, they may require that you visit the Console).
  2. Open your sheet & click “update sheets”

Got it! Thanks, Heather.