Investments Tracker

:wave:

Hi, I see some old topics about tracking investments value over time, has anyone created a how to on this? Seems like it is kind of a homebrew type of thing that people have done.

I also see that there was discussion ab0out this as a template but that was a couple of years back and I don’t see anything in the community templates or the Tiller ones.

TIA.

Welcome @salem74792 :wave:

Are you looking for holdings type investment tracking? Or just net worth/balance tracking?

We don’t offer a holding detail level feed right now. We have a private beta for holdings, but we’re not opening it more broadly and have paused on development for it.

Any reason why development has paused? This functionality would be extremely useful for lots of people. If needed you could even add a paid tier level to support it?

1 Like

Welcome @rossennen, :wave:

We’re just a super small team and after the initial findings of the beta we found that the necessary next step to make it viable as a premium feature was a really big lift and not something we could take on right now. Other opportunities arose that we need to shift to focusing our energy on. We will pick it back up and it will end up being a tiered product.

1 Like

Thanks Heather, I did figure out a way to do it, it’s not as nice looking and easy as yours would be but it gives you an idea. I had no clue that Google Sheets can go and get stock quotes, that is so cool!

New user here - I am looking for the latest information/guide on how to work with investments. I want to track income (dividends, interest received) and expense (margin interest paid, advisor fees, various account fees); then overall account values/changes in values.

there is so much information here, but as a new user I am finding it difficult to know if i am using the best tool/solution before investing time into it.

Adding to this re: Brokerage accounts. I am discovering that not all transactions show up in the automatic download. Will it harm anything if I delete all the transactions that download, and manually enter just the transactions I wish to track (namely dividends and interest)? I could do this by separately exporting transaction history from schwab into excel, sorting the data, then copying and pasting into the transactions fields in the Tiller Foundation Template. Will that cause problems?

thanks
-Tom

As @heather mentioned earlier in the thread, investments/holdings are not supported at this time. If you bank feeds provide transaction level information (will depend on the institution and the integration with Yodlee) like “dividends, interest received, margin interest paid, advisor fees, various account fees”, you may get some mileage out of the Transactions and Balance History sheets… but tracking the value of holdings over time will likely require manual entry.

So long as you leave the headers in the core sheets (Transactions and Balance History) intact, you can certainly delete and modify information in the rows. You can also import data from other sources and modify it to conform with the core-sheet headers and add that in.